News from around the National League South

Moderator: Gary C

M1 South

Re: News from around the National League South

Post by M1 South »

They should have played it at Gloucester FC on the 4g again!!
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

M1 South wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:31 pm They should have played it at Gloucester FC on the 4g again!!
Gloucester are at home to Tamworth tonight - so they would have had to kick-off at 11pm or later
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Taunton Dart wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:13 pm
M1 South wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:31 pm They should have played it at Gloucester FC on the 4g again!!
Gloucester are at home to Tamworth tonight - so they would have had to kick-off at 11pm or later
Might come to that in April!
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Play on Wednesdays like Cray do at Bromley!!
It’s not Rocket science!!
Last edited by M1 South on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

I see Pierre Fonkeu has joined Dowse at Hemel
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Who will Dowse sign next? The Moose?
The Futures White

Post by The Futures White »

Torquay have just announced that they are intending to call in the administrators and have subsequently been deducted 10 points. This means that they now join in the relegation dogfight.
Dart of Herts

Post by Dart of Herts »

The Futures White wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:27 pm Torquay have just announced that they are intending to call in the administrators and have subsequently been deducted 10 points. This means that they now join in the relegation dogfight.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68553988
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

A real shame then that we didn't put away our chances in the first half on Saturday. If we had won then our places and points would be reversed
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Another team dragged in, however we still need to get a heap of points on the board for it to mean anything to us. Torquay have a good enough squad to get enough points to stay up even with that deduction.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Mark Sweet wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:48 pm Another team dragged in, however we still need to get a heap of points on the board for it to mean anything to us. Torquay have a good enough squad to get enough points to stay up even with that deduction.
Not necessarily the case. Torquay have won twice in their last 13 games - against Dover and us
Last edited by Taunton Dart on Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

So Torquay dealt with. Will Taunton follow? Hate to see clubs in trouble but we may be in another Hereford/Salisbury situation that saves our skin. Not that we deserve it.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

I see that BBC Sport have posted the story of Torquay being deducted 10 points - but the news on Saturday was that they had been given a two week deadline to go into administration or not and these points have not been deducted on the NLS table on BBC Sport
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

If I read right if a club goes into administration before the 4th Thursday in March, the points are deducted from this seasons points, after that they default to the following season. As SD suggests we wouldn't deserve to stay up as others were folding, but we have "benefited" from that before, although that next season in NLP was hard watching as we were out of our depth, sounds somewhat familiar :shock:
Dart of Herts

Post by Dart of Herts »

Taunton Dart wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:54 pm I see that BBC Sport have posted the story of Torquay being deducted 10 points - but the news on Saturday was that they had been given a two week deadline to go into administration or not and these points have not been deducted on the NLS table on BBC Sport
The BBC aren't usually very quick to update things like that. Torquay are 17th according to the NL website
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

If a club goes into administration they have in effect been paying for much better players than they can afford, which surely isn't right.
I think i read somewhere in Torquay's case they were overspending £20,000 A WEEK, over £1m a year.
And what about all those unfortunate companies and people who aren't going to get the money they are owed in full.
So whilst i have sympathy with the fans as far as i'm concerned a points deduction is not a "benefit" to other clubs who are run in a financially sustainable way, it's just fair.

If you enjoy the "gravy train" just be prepared for the aftermath which has happened to countless clubs and will continue to do so until some proper financial regulations are brought into football. Don't hold your breath....
Spike

Post by Spike »

Absolutely agree with Park Life. Clubs "passing the bucket" round and expecting other people to sympathize / help when they've been running up huge debts paying players wages they and more importantly, WE can't afford. They still sign them, but we don't. That's why they are losing 10 points and we don't have to. They have only themselves to blame. Taunton is a little bit different as their problems have been massively exacerbated by the atrocious weather that has denied them of revenue from home games. Nevertheless, clubs need to balance their books and losing points is the punishment for not doing so. If it turns out that points deductions should save us from relegation it would be because we conduct our affairs properly and they don't.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Havant 2-1 Slough

Another relegation threatened team that's picked up points in recent weeks threatening a late survival charge.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Well. It's all confirmed on the National League website, and their latest league table shows the 10 points deducted from Torquay.
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Park Life wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:29 pm If a club goes into administration they have in effect been paying for much better players than they can afford, which surely isn't right.
I think i read somewhere in Torquay's case they were overspending £20,000 A WEEK, over £1m a year.
And what about all those unfortunate companies and people who aren't going to get the money they are owed in full.
So whilst i have sympathy with the fans as far as i'm concerned a points deduction is not a "benefit" to other clubs who are run in a financially sustainable way, it's just fair.

If you enjoy the "gravy train" just be prepared for the aftermath which has happened to countless clubs and will continue to do so until some proper financial regulations are brought into football. Don't hold your breath....
Agreed on the reason behind the punishment PL, its a gamble that some clubs are willing to take and I'm glad that we spend within our means (without wanting to mention the b word 😂), likewise feel sorry for any club having to go through a climb for the bottom of the pyramid like we did. Perhaps benefit was the wrong word (it was tongue in cheek anyway). I just meant that it kept us in the league, when on points we would be relegated.

Coyds