50 years since winning the Southern League and reaching Wembley next season

Disco Stu

50 years since winning the Southern League and reaching Wembley next season

Post by Disco Stu »

Next season will be 50 years since one of our best ever campaigns. We won the Southern League and reached the F.A Trophy final. Wonder if the club will do anything to celebrate. Maybe a special edition kit with the black slash across the front, could raise a few pounds and stir a few good old memories for those that were around!
Trevor B

Re: 50 years since winning the Southern League and reaching Wembley next season

Post by Trevor B »

I can certainly remember the day and the game at Wembley travelling on one of the many coaches from Watling Street with my dad excited :) before but down after the game :( but still one of the best highlights from many years of following The Darts. It brought a tear to my eyes as I remembered dad he's long gone but still remembered along with the day out.
Last edited by Trevor B on Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I was on coach number 41 and there were loads more behind us. Plus the local pubs all ran coaches. Great to see the Darts at Wembley even if the result didn't go our way. Despite that 1-2 defeat, Darts were widely considered to be the best team outside of the football league that season. Great memories.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I have just found my Wembley programme and ticket. (Sad bugger) My standing ticket 40p :o . Really?
I can still see a certain Dartford supporter (Will remain nameless just in case the Wembley security are still looking for him) setting fire to his coat towards the end of the game :D
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I still think Robbo's shot went over the line when he hit both posts from a cracking shot. Where was VAR when you needed it? :D
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

OMG not 50 years. Yep still have the programme to two also. Went by train that day and remember waiting for a bus in Hythe Street on the return and then I wonder if anyone still following the Darts made their way in the yellow ( think) panelled lorry!!!

We of Course also won the inter league challenge match to prove we were indeed the best non-league team outside of the league.

COYD
old git

Post by old git »

I went to Wembley also, with a few mates. Very proud of the Darts that season. Shame about the result.
MickW

Post by MickW »

Probably the most looked forward to game of my life and a thoroughly enjoyable say out except for the result of course. Where did those 50 years go.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

We were a better footballing outfit than Morcambe that day but they hit us on the break twice and we were chasing the game..we got one back and I firmly believe that if we had equalised then we would have won it in extra time because we were fitter.
But it was a very memorable day.