Steve King

KentC.

Re: Steve King

Post by KentC. »

V184 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 pm Second round of interviews pm tomorrow/friday with decision at weekend/Monday more exciting than the kent cup :!:

But not as much as play off final
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

GPS wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:32 pm Letting SK go The best thing this club has done for ages there is a certain person Brown knows should go with him and we all hope he does

Genuine question. Who would you replace him with
Dorset Dart

Post by Dorset Dart »

I can readily identify with the Board's statement. Such has been the turnover of players this season, I became increasingly disenchanted with the Club I have known for so many years. Yes, there were some great performances, but also a lot of indifferent ones, and that seemed indicative of an approach that didn't build a team upon a solid foundation. The manager tried so many players and formations, it was as if he never knew quite what he was looking for and we never knew what to expect from one match to another. Time to move on.
V184

Post by V184 »

KentC. wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 pm
GPS wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:32 pm Letting SK go The best thing this club has done for ages there is a certain person Brown knows should go with him and we all hope he does

Get over him kentC & just hope he hasn't left Dartford like Farnborough,Whitehawk,Welling :lol: :lol: :lol:
DFCTALK

Post by DFCTALK »

To slightly when is it that a view differs to yours or anyone elses that person is looking for a forum fight.
For me, this is one of the saddest days in the clubs history. Not because Steve King has been sacked but i firmly believe that the decision has not been made for footballing reasons. I truthfully dont. I think that this has been made simply because some in authority simply didnt like the mans character. I have heard season ticket holders today describe to me "this club is toxic" "this club is poisonous" if i include pedro from earlier i know of five people who will not be renewing their season tickets next season. There are plenty of characters at this club who have actively worked from day 1 to get King out, many within the inner sanctum. Some ex employees. Some even ex players. Well as from last night your job is complete. There are some hateful people at this club dont be fooled by the rhetoric. A community club is many ways yes but in some ways na. This decision is made by the few for the few and not for the many. Why do i say this,attendances on the up, many saying and i believe if what im told is true by one board member saying some of the football i have seen here this season is the best ive seen in 50 years. Remember this is all opinion and in this im not brown nosing anybody.
To the board i believe you have made one of the most shocking decisions ever. Now thats been made now and is done. But you need to get your next employee correct. If you dont the buck stops very firmly with you. You live by the sword and you die by the sword. Get it wrong and it shouldnt be the next incumbent being sacked it should be resignations being announced. Sorry but its my view.
To those that have helped to aid and abet much of this with your post on many platforms your job is also complete. Youve got what you wanted but speaking as a fan who witnessed his very first DFc game in 1973 i truthfully feel sick in my stomach.
And im going to sign of with my name as to ensure that no one is either hiding or anyone has any doubt that i am so so saddened as to what has happened.
Paul
Last edited by DFCTALK on Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

V184 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 pm
KentC. wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 pm

Get over him kentC & just hope he hasn't left Dartford like Farnborough,Whitehawk,Welling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure why you said that doesn’t make sense coz they’re different reasons, What’s me asking a question about our manager position anything to do with you
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I'm still gobsmacked that SK has gone but I do trust our excellent board to make the correct call, in the best interests of our great club. I have known some of these guys for over 40 years and they would not have come to this decision without good reason. For them to come to this decision, in such a conclusive manner, suggests that something was seriously wrong.

We need to move forward quickly with the right appointment, one that can unite the club and also bridge the gap between the first team and our academy. I wouldn't have a clue on who our next manager will be but I do have a preference, he is someone who used to teach maths at my son's grammar school in Maidstone, he has also won this division 3 times with 2 different teams and has also managed to get a team into the playoffs at National level. In the meantime, I would like to thank SK for an entertaining couple of seasons and I'm now looking forward to the announcement of the new manager.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

DFCTALK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 pm To slightly when is it that a view differs to yours or anyone elses that person is looking for a forum fight.
For me, this is one of the saddest days in the clubs history. Not because Steve King has been sacked but i firmly believe that the decision has not been made for footballing reasons. I truthfully dont. I think that this has been made simply because some in authority simply didnt like the mans character. I have heard season ticket holders today describe to me "this club is toxic" "this club is poisonous" if i include pedro from earlier i know of five people who will not be renewing their season tickets next season. There are plenty of characters at this club who have actively worked from day 1 to get King out, many within the inner sanctum. Some ex employees. Some even ex players. Well as from last night your job is complete. There are some hateful people at this club dont be fooled by the rhetoric. A community club is many ways yes but in some ways na. This decision is made by the few for the few and not for the many. Why do i say this,attendances on the up, many saying and i believe if what im told is true by one board member saying some of the football i have seen here this season is the best ive seen in 50 years. Remember this is all opinion and in this im not brown nosing anybody.
To the board i believe you have made one of the most shocking decisions ever. Now thats been made now and is done. But you need to get your next employee correct. If you dont the buck stops very firmly with you. You live by the sword and you die by the sword. Get it wrong and it shouldnt be the next incumbent being sacked it should be resignations being announced. Sorry but its my view.
To those that have helped to aid and abet much of this with your post on many platforms your job is complete. Youve got what you wanted but speaking as a fan who witnessed his very first DFc game in 1973 i truthfully feel sick in my stomach.
And im going to sign of with my name as to ensure that no one is either hiding or anyone has any doubt that i am so so saddened as to what has happened.
Paul
Respect that. Well put mate. I’m a big DFC fan, but, sadly, not a Steve King fan. That said, I wouldn’t ‘hound him out’ but I’m relieved he’s gone. I agree, the next step HAS to be right.
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Late hearing the news.

Thank you to King, for some really great football over the years. Sadly we never got across the line, just one of those things I suppose. He will do well at this level somewhere else.

Hopefully we will find a suitable replacement, more in line with the perhaps more reserved budget aspirations.

Peter Taylor has the pedigree to take the team further, didnt last long at Welling though?!?!?

Would be my wish

UTDS
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

I didn’t like emulating Borrow’em Wood, but I did like finishing in the play-offs. Very surprised SK wasn’t given another year. Something is afoot.
Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

Whether you think it’s a shocking decision or not, it’s done, Kingy has gone! Thanks for your efforts Mr. King, I wish you well

What is really important now is the next guy who will hopefully assemble a squad of 22 and stick with it.

We are Dartford over train and minibus and we don’t throw our dummies out because of a change of manager. Together forever in win or lose booze.

Come on board, I challenge you to surpassing Steve King and getting someone in who will not only do the business on the field but will communicate with the board and the fans.

It’s a new chapter, not the end of the book! Stay with the club, always through thick and thin.

We are Dartford, Princes Park!
DFCTALK

Post by DFCTALK »

Sleightly Deceptive wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 pm
DFCTALK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 pm To slightly when is it that a view differs to yours or anyone elses that person is looking for a forum fight.
To those that have helped to aid and abet much of this with your post on many platforms your job is complete. Youve got what you wanted but speaking as a fan who witnessed his very first DFc game in 1973 i truthfully feel sick in my stomach.
Paul
Respect that. Well put mate. I’m a big DFC fan, but, sadly, not a Steve King fan. That said, I wouldn’t ‘hound him out’ but I’m relieved he’s gone. I agree, the next step HAS to be right.
Slightly i never want i fight. I promise you faithfully i am absolutely gutted. Really gutted why ? I waited for the second statement from.the club as to why the hell has this happened. In that statement they actively admit the guy has done well. So why sack him. Yes i believe some futile reasons are given but im left to conclude,yes incorrectly possibly, that the club do not have the ambitions i both have and wish for. If he failed yes we move on but he hasnt. Many will argue about past greats and Tonys achievements. Tony was possibly my favourite players of all.times. The Glen coupland squad was definitely my favourite squad. Tonys achievements of 8th in the nat proper was incredible will be hard to replicate. But the leagues are so much harder now.
So why am i so much a steve King fan. There will simply be no one who can get the likes of players like Marcus Dinanga. I want to use Marcus as an example. Was it 13 goals in 15 games ? If he had been around all season he would be the hottest property in the nat south. And i firmly believe with his loan we had only just scratched the surface with the boy. The football has been superb. I.mention Tony as a player. He and Gary were an unbelievable strike force unbelievable. But who can forget McQueen and Romain that season. I stood next to.my daughter gobsmacked as to what we were seeing. They were 2 whippets. Undefendible against. (If thats spelt correctly sorry). Was it 4th from bottom and before it was curtailed we/i/some were even talking about second place. The second season we were top 2 all season before it was cut short. This year kings first full season we finished exactly where i honestly belive we stand. I truly 1 million per cent belive this. Honestly. Yet hes sacked. Theyve sacked him !!!! This cannot be a footballing decision it cannot be. Yes it war an peace from me but i believe it has to be said and if anyone thinks thats it not anythimg to do with fact and those above then sorry we will have to beg to differ. Excuse some spelling when writing war and peace it will.happen
As for the reasons given, people argue about numbers used there is mitigation im not going to go into it as ive said enough. Many know better than I and i will have to accept that. But now its been done lets see what the authorities do and where they go with it. But if the board get someone better then i will hold my hands up but if they dont i think (opinion it is still.allowed isnt it) then some should be holding their hands up. Sorry to all for so much but i am so downbeat
Last edited by DFCTALK on Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

It's common knowledge among anyone who knows anything about non-league football what Steve King is about.
His ambition has always been to manage in the football league.
He has also said that in the absence of any such offers he would therefore have to take a non-league club into league 2 himself.
What I would like to know is, if the approach to player recruitment, development and retention (cash out on your best player to the first club that shows an interest), is not the best fit for the club's ambitions/plans going forward, then why the bloody hell did the board appoint King in the first place?
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Well Reg … erm i mean DFCTALK , whats done is done . Players and managers come and go and whoever comes in will be pushing for the top. its not the end of the club just a new era .
DFCTALK

Post by DFCTALK »

KSTDART wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:19 pm Well Reg … erm i mean DFCTALK , whats done is done . Players and managers come and go and whoever comes in will be pushing for the top. its not the end of the club just a new era .
Kevin i hear you but i felt things had to be said. But heyho
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Opinion is certainly split on this one! What’s done, rightly or wrongly, is done. Superb rallying cry by Kebabus earlier in this thread - we must now move on and we all await, expectantly, for the Club to announce the appointment of SK’s successor. Before that though, our thanks to Kingy for his hard work and for providing us with some outstanding entertainment.
Stand together, support the next manager and the squad of players he assembles and let’s move on to next seasons battle. COYD.
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Jonty wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:30 pm do have a preference, he is someone who used to teach maths at my son's grammar school in Maidstone, he has also won this division 3 times with 2 different teams and has also managed to get a team into the playoffs at National level.
Any guesses from anyone?
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

The only teams I can think of is either someone who has managed £bbsfleet or Sutton
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Jonty wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:30 pm I'm still gobsmacked that SK has gone but I do trust our excellent board to make the correct call, in the best interests of our great club. I have known some of these guys for over 40 years and they would not have come to this decision without good reason.

For them to come to this decision, in such a conclusive manner, suggests that something was seriously wrong.
Absolutely spot on Jonty. Well said!
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Wow. That decision has taken me by surprise, especially as I thought his contract had been extended.

It is obvious SK has a very large contact book, including his articles for the NLP. He has also put a lot of hours in taking in a lot of games. So for all his efforts, he deserves credit and thank you Steve King for that.

However, I am not disappointed with the board decision.
I speak as a season ticket holder, even though I have not seen a game this season, but have had to rely on match highlights to keep in touch with performances. I have also sponsored players kit for the past 2 seasons, and it is my way of supporting the club from afar, including contributing to the race nights and fundraising activities.

From a distance though, to me, there has been a seemingly disconnect between supporters and the manager, as the season has progressed, mainly through this forum, but also with conversations with friends. I certainly have felt the number of players used has been a negative, and players have not been given a chance of playing alongside each other regularly. Some supporters also suggesting they were not going to renew season tickets also suggest a disconnect. To me, it all . goes back to when the team which started the season so well, started to be tinkered with., and players playing well were suddenly dropped. Then ever since, it seemed to have been a continuous revolving door of players coming and going. Make no mistake, there were some talented players brought in and probably we will lose most of those given it was SK who brought them in. However, the team failed spectacularly in the FA Cup and FA Trophy at important stages of the competitions as well as the play offs, so it does beg the question whether SK was the 'nearly' man.

For the record, I will be renewing my season ticket for next season. I was considering not kit sponsoring next season, given that the turnover of players reached ridiculous levels and my sponsored player Ronnie Vint played so few games under SK, playing on loan at Dulwich during the last two seasons (and picking up Man of Match awards often during his time there). Says it all really to me. It must have been a difficult job for DFCSA to obtain kit sponsorship with so many players in and out. Hopefully, next season will be more settled, and with SK gone, I will now be offering to sponsor somebodies kit now next year.

I suppose it might depend on the pedigree of who is appointed manager for next season, as to how quickly we come out of the starting blocks. But as Dorking have shown this season, a slow start does not neccessarily mean promotion is not achievable. It is going to make for an interesting season for sure.

COYD