Total votes: 36

Wookie

Re: Dartford v Chippenham Thu 12 May 2022 19:45

Post by Wookie »

KentC. wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:13 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 pm
Wookie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm

And get who?
I'm sure there is someone out there who can do better. So short-sighted to think King is the only option.

Come on you’ve given your opinion so who would you replace him with
He really wants a yes man to please the old boys who run the club
DA1

Post by DA1 »

Oh dear, what a dreadful game which we never looked like winning with some half chances. I love the club but I don’t love the manager or his style, the constant chopping and changing makes me feel detached from it all.

Onto another season in the South it is.
KentC.

Post by KentC. »

DA1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 pm Oh dear, what a dreadful game which we never looked like winning with some half chances. I love the club but I don’t love the manager or his style, the constant chopping and changing makes me feel detached from it all.

Onto another season in the South it is.

‘Detached from it all’
I think that’s well described and I understand why you say that
Top Cat

Post by Top Cat »

Congratulations to Chippenham .Can’t be bothered trying to summarise the game , just thought we were poor and got what we deserved . So off to Chatham on Tuesday night and hopefully win our customary KSC ?
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

Very poor performance at home again tonight on an almost flooded pitch. Our opponents should have won the match in normal time. They had the better of the chances and missed an open goal.

Not sure why we went into the penalty shoot out with our best striker having been subbed shortly before, but perhaps he had taken a knock.

The less said about the penalties the better.

Reice my MoM. Consistent all night and so unlucky with the fourth penalty having already made two great saves.

I hope that Dorking win the play-off final. They came second by five points and were twenty-two points above Chippenham. They should be promoted. I expect that they will face Ebbsfleet in the final.
LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Defo 1800 at least...
dartLion

Post by dartLion »

What a huge disappointment - it was like many a cup final, a lot at stake, it gripped me but lacked quality, for me there was no obvious winner. One of the biggest disappointments was that the players didn't seem to learn from the early overhit forward passes, (due to the wet ground?) which went into touch or the keepers arms, but we persisted with more of the same. I'm an SK supporter but he needs to achieve an automatic promotion place, his play offs record of fails is second to none. I do think his squad contained too many at times to keep all players involved, and he meddled too much perhaps to achieve that. As Dorking have mostly done, choose your 22 at start of season and stand by them. I thought after the penalty shoot out win at Welling perhaps we had eradicated that hoodoo, but no, here we are again.
I also guesstimated the crowd to be 1700-1800.
The main positive for me from tonight? My Sunday dinner will be on the table this Sunday! :lol:
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

It was a tight game, echo what others have said re the long ball on the wet ground. But that must have been our game plan, unfortunately they were set up to be hard to break down and it paid off, dont agree that we were poor as either team could have nicked a winner IMO

I like King but would like a more settled squad next season please, help find the DFC family feel again
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

BAWArmy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:14 pm Completely lost for words.
What a shambles.
That’s unlike you.

UpTheDarts
Harry

Post by Harry »

Disappointing end to a frustrating season, overall we seem to get ourselves into a good position only to lose when it really matters, for example tonight, in the FA cup 4Q, in the trophy last 32 both against lower league opposition, and in the league against Braintree when the pressure was on to win !

We are inconsistent, I don't understand how a team can score 6, 0, 7, 0 in the four most recent games.

We may end up with a couple of KSC trophies, but overall a poor season, I do expect us to be challenging for the title regardless of "budget" but I do think we have been out if the race for the last couple of months.

Best performance for me was the home game against Dorking, undoubtedly we have a very talented squad with some exceptional players for this level. I doubt we will retain many.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Mark Sweet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:10 pm
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 pm Seriously bad performance that. Tactics were all wrong. Time for King to go. Can always guarantee a failure in the playoffs with him in charge.
Give it a rest, his first full season in charge. Yes it's disappointing but we don't want to be chopping and changing managers every season if we don't go up.
But it's fine to be chopping and changing players in the team every week? Stick with King this club goes nowhere.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

As a matter of interest, how many of the players Kingy has brought in are (still?) on loan with us, and who are they?
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I didn't think we played as bad as some of the posts suggest and I would have started with more or less the same team, maybe, I would started without our holding midfield player. Unfortunately, we up against a team who have probably got the best fullbacks in this division and a team who put their bodies on the line. I certainly can't fault our commitment and effort, we just fell short against the better team on the evening. We also got into some really good positions but the final ball, poor corners/free-kicks and plus our failure to hit the target cost us. My only gripe would be how a couple of senior players didn't step up to take a penalty, one of them in particular!

So congratulations to Chippenham and hope they do a similar job on Sunday but I really hope Dorking win the final, they deserve to go up on merit.
LA Dart

Post by LA Dart »

Anyone know the 50/50 Draw numbers from last night ?
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

£210 - 16861
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:19 am
SKennedyDFC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 pm Seriously bad performance that. Tactics were all wrong. Time for King to go. Can always guarantee a failure in the playoffs with him in charge.
Give it a rest, his first full season in charge. Yes it's disappointing but we don't want to be chopping and changing managers every season if we don't go up.
But it's fine to be chopping and changing players in the team every week? Stick with King this club goes nowhere.
So, not too many changes from the team that tonked Eastbourne and yet that team didn't turn up last night. I have no problem changing the team at all - King goes to more games than many of our previous managers and tries to get a team out he feels will beat them - of course it is the guys on the pitch that have to deliver it.

If you had your way - i.e. not bring in new players, then we would have finished the season with academy players (no offence to them at all). Kingy has had so many injuries to key players to contend with and lost one of our most gifted players to Southend. I would say the majority of players brought in have been improvements to ones let go, so I really don't see your problem.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

I came away from PP thinking business as usual .
First of all congrats to Chippenham ,they had a game plan and stuck to it.
It has been 10 years since TB won a play off final for the club and the longer the game went on it was obvious that we were not going to score. and win the match.
For some reason consistency with this squad is a non event. Very frustrating.
As for Kingy he is very experienced but his play off record is not great.
If he stays then we go again
But if he walks ...we will move on as we have always done.
I hope that Dorking win the play offs because they deserve to imo.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Pedro wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am

So, not too many changes from the team that tonked Eastbourne and yet that team didn't turn up last night. I have no problem changing the team at all - King goes to more games than many of our previous managers and tries to get a team out he feels will beat them - of course it is the guys on the pitch that have to deliver it.

If you had your way - i.e. not bring in new players, then we would have finished the season with academy players (no offence to them at all). Kingy has had so many injuries to key players to contend with and lost one of our most gifted players to Southend. I would say the majority of players brought in have been improvements to ones let go, so I really don't see your problem.
Multiple things wrong here IMO.

Firstly, most club's have injuries / suspensions throughout a season. It's inevitable. Yet the more successful ones (look at Maidstone United for example - whose manager has come out and said it's down to a solid stable team that has led them to success this year) had a core group of players who made up the majority of the squad. If you look at the team that started this season for us, it is a million miles different from the one that ended it.

If King can't recognise a good player or bad player before having to play him for two or three games then that says a lot about him as a manager. What he has got is a good network of connections in football, however, this had led to players drifting in and out of the club without so much of a mention (that bit comes down to the poor comms in place at Dartford these days).

Regarding the academy, what's the point in having it if we are never going to reap the rewards of trying some of these kids in competitive games? Again is this because King cannot develop talent himself?

One of my key issues with King is that he is very short-termism. He looks at the immediate games and doesn't look to develop a squad with a team mentality. You only have to look at the reactions of some of the players who have worked under him (take Ryan Hayes for instance) to see how he is a poor man-manager.

I also struggle to see what brand of football / style of football he is going for? It beggars belief that we can turn up to some games and smash teams 6-0 or 7-2 and then go and lose 1-0 to a low side like Braintree or put in an abject performance like we did last night. This to me says that the players HE has selected and brought to the club are not consistent enough to take us to the next level.

Other clubs around us are pushing forwards (Ebbsfleet United, Bromley and Maidstone United) and we are standing still or, worse, going backwards! Floating fans will go and spend their money watching a higher division than another season of National League South football given the chance.

I've lost count now of the times King has failed in the play-offs but it's almost inevitable that you're going to lose with him in charge. He's failed twice with us now and for most managers that would be the final nail in the coffin.

We could have had games next season against Oldham Athletic, Scunthorpe United and Southend United. Instead we have matches with Cheshunt, Worthing and Farnborough. That's the price of King's failures!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 am
Pedro wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am

Multiple things wrong here IMO.

Firstly, most club's have injuries / suspensions throughout a season. It's inevitable. Yet the more successful ones (look at Maidstone United for example - whose manager has come out and said it's down to a solid stable team that has led them to success this year) had a core group of players who made up the majority of the squad. If you look at the team that started this season for us, it is a million miles different from the one that ended it.

If King can't recognise a good player or bad player before having to play him for two or three games then that says a lot about him as a manager. What he has got is a good network of connections in football, however, this had led to players drifting in and out of the club without so much of a mention (that bit comes down to the poor comms in place at Dartford these days).

Regarding the academy, what's the point in having it if we are never going to reap the rewards of trying some of these kids in competitive games? Again is this because King cannot develop talent himself?

One of my key issues with King is that he is very short-termism. He looks at the immediate games and doesn't look to develop a squad with a team mentality. You only have to look at the reactions of some of the players who have worked under him (take Ryan Hayes for instance) to see how he is a poor man-manager.

I also struggle to see what brand of football / style of football he is going for? It beggars belief that we can turn up to some games and smash teams 6-0 or 7-2 and then go and lose 1-0 to a low side like Braintree or put in an abject performance like we did last night. This to me says that the players HE has selected and brought to the club are not consistent enough to take us to the next level.

Other clubs around us are pushing forwards (Ebbsfleet United, Bromley and Maidstone United) and we are standing still or, worse, going backwards! Floating fans will go and spend their money watching a higher division than another season of National League South football given the chance.

I've lost count now of the times King has failed in the play-offs but it's almost inevitable that you're going to lose with him in charge. He's failed twice with us now and for most managers that would be the final nail in the coffin.

We could have had games next season against Oldham Athletic, Scunthorpe United and Southend United. Instead we have matches with Cheshunt, Worthing and Farnborough. That's the price of King's failures!
And your suggestions to improve things are what exactly? And don't just say sack the manager.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

I'm not sure Steve King is held in quite the same esteem as Jurgen Klopp is by his Liverpool players.

More like Brian Clough at Leeds.