Player news

Moderator: Gary C

Spike

Re: Player news

Post by Spike »

I'll be gutted if that is true, I was hoping we'd get at least next season with Olly. The Dartford fans love him and I think he could make a real impact. It's not purely selfishness, long term I think it might benefit him to have a season long experience at non-league level. I wish him well in whatever he does, but I think iut would be a shame if he just gets lost as another youngster amongst hundreds at a big club.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

So Olly Box was handed a first team contract ahead of the 2023/24 season. Then shipped off to Margate and had to wait until February before breaking into the first team following the departure of a manager who always said if the youngsters are good enough they're in.
The teams been struggling all bloody season and all the while we've had a player who's been up for it and probably better than what we've had and could have brought something to the table. And now he's going to West Ham. Which will probably explain why his game time has been recently limited to avoid jeopardising that move.
Why the f*ck was he allowed to go Margate when he could have been worth an extra if only 3 points to us. Which is now the difference between survival and relegation.
On the one hand we can't afford the few extra quid offered by the likes of Chelmsford for players so we look to the academy. Then when the talent emerges we either fail to spot it or utilise it and a few months down the line an elitist club playing European football pounces.
What the hell is happening to this club? We've gone from being the top non-league club in Kent to becoming a total basket case. The responsibility lies with the decision makers. Can't we afford to even compete in the National South now? And also does that include the women's team being promoted to the next level? Which will explain why I witnessed more substitutions than I've had hot dinners on Sunday.
We seem to have this uncanny knack off grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory at the business end of the season the past few years. With that penalty shoot out at Weymouth being the best of the worst, where the Weymouth keeper might just as well have gone for any early shower after normal time as his services weren't even required.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

If we do get relegated and please note I'm still using the word 'if', even though it's extremely likely now, then maybe the club shop should start stocking up on Dartford C&D FC (Community & Development) ear plugs for next season.
Because all we're gonna hear from away fans is "Your grounds too big for you!".
And if Truro nick this tonight then we're dead and buried.
Yeovil will surely win the title infront of their own fans on Saturday.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Great news for the lad , hope he does really well , the one shining beacon part of a dysmal Darts season !!!!

NB another previous successful Academy lad Ebou Adams [ now at Bolton] on March's player of the months awards nominees !!
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Have to agree with Spike. It would be nice to have had him a full season. The lad has the killer instinct in front of goal.
It would be galling seeing him going out on loan to the likes of Hornchurch or god forbid, Chelmsford by Christmas.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

The Duke wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am Great news for the lad , hope he does really well , the one shining beacon part of a dysmal Darts season !!!!

NB another previous successful Academy lad Ebou Adams [ now at Bolton] on March's player of the months awards nominees !!
He is on loan at Derby from Cardiff.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

He scored an absolute cracker of a goal for Derby against Blackpool as well to win the game 1-0.
Paulcanary

Post by Paulcanary »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:42 pm He scored an absolute cracker of a goal for Derby against Blackpool as well to win the game 1-0.
I live in Derbyshire now and some new friends here (Derby season ticket holders) totally love him - call him a monster - strong tackling box to box player- I was in the car park end when he scored his only Darts goal and was delighted for him when he signed for my pro team Norwich - he has matured so Much as a player. I tell all he was a Darts academy player 👍

On the Darts front I am praying we can rebuild next season coz for many of us after years of play off disappointment this season was like a kick in the bollocks but on reflection you could see it happening after 4 games - we were all deluded to think we were ok 😳
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

I am not close enough to the youth set up but we do appear to have over the years a decent pool of players and yet we rarely get/got to see them in the first team! Any reason why we would waste budget on poor players who don’t care for the shirt and not give the youngsters a concerted go??
Skip

Post by Skip »

I sent Ebou a message on Twitter 5-6 or years back mentioning that he still maintained a photo of his days in the DFC academy on his Twitter page. Said he never forgets his roots and always looks out for the Darts results. I remember TB saying what a lovely fella he was. We certainly could do with a few more like him coming through the academy.
Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Genuinely think there are a couple of lads in our youth set up who could be utilised, I am pretty sure we have a few of the youth players out at Margate, and a few in step 4 football.

Maybe time for the club to reinstate the DFC "reserve/U23" team in a reasonable level next season.
Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

It’s a major failing (another one) to farm our cream of the academy out on loan when they can be playing a part in the first team. The mentality of our famous club needs to change, this season has been farcical and it’s cost us dearly, barring a miracle, relegation and over 500 fans not bothering anymore.

Wish Olly all the best, just wish the lad was given a shirt earlier!

Complete rethink needed, our club needs serious investment now.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

I don’t think the Prawn sandwich brigade will be opting for Fishpaste anytime soon??
Gary C

Post by Gary C »

Speaking to club officials, there has been no contact with West Ham over any transfer for Olly. He is contracted to Dartford.

I am reliably informed that this article has no base in fact - it is not correct.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Gary C wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:53 pm Speaking to club officials, there has been no contact with West Ham over any transfer for Olly. He is contracted to Dartford.

I am reliably informed that this article has no base in fact - it is not correct.
Well done for posting that Gary, I'd heard it wasn't based on FACT as well which is why it's best to just wait and see and keep our fingers crossed.
Would be great if Olly stayed with DFC because the club has done the right thing with players in this situation before and I'm sure would help him in the future If a big club comes in. Still very early in Ollys career but no reason he can't develop further with us, whatever division we're in.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Well, I hope Olly does indeed stay, whatever league we are in next season and gets regular games under his belt, which is what he needs, rather than becoming a small fish in a big pond. If and when he does move on, then I will be the first to be wishing him all the best at a higher level, providing he is not used just a benchwarmer. He needs to be playing to improve.

Would also hope that the club does get well rewarded if Olly moves on to better things.

Also means I will be able to continue with his kit sponsorship next season too.

COYD
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Never mind the managers, the 2 year contracts should be going to our talented youngsters.
It will be harder to keep Olly Box anyway now. He's clearly good enough for this level but ofcourse we'll no longer be there after our final game against Truro City next week.
It would be nice to see Olly go to an EFL club where he'll have more chance of breaking into the first team. As for the club benefitting from his progress that's down to the board to get the paperwork right. He says with his head in his hands. Gawd help us.
A decent initial fee with plenty of appearance related increments thrown in. And more importantly making sure that potentially game changing 20% sell-on clause is inserted in the contract too.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Not a player I know, but for the work he's done he probably deserves his own thread. Jay the Groundsman will be leaving us after tomorrow's game. Best groundsman in the league and consistently does a fantastic job.

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Mark Sweet wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm Not a player I know, but for the work he's done he probably deserves his own thread.
He does: https://thedarts.eu/puredfc/viewtopic.php?t=252
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

He’s my vote for player of the season!!