Ady relishing fresh challenge

Park Life

Ady relishing fresh challenge

Post by Park Life »

Here it is, first interview with Ady :)
COYD

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... ge-303010/

New Dartford manager Ady Pennock calls for top-to-bottom positivity at Princes Park as he begins National League South survival mission

Dartford manager Ady Pennock wants a positive approach from top to bottom as they prepare for “11 cup finals”.

The Darts are nervously sitting four points above the National League South relegation zone and have turned to former Gillingham and Welling boss Pennock to guide them to safety.

Pennock is no stranger to relegation battles having successfully steered the Gills and Barrow to safety previously. He’s certainly more than capable of reinvigorating a Dartford side who have won just once since Boxing Day.

“I’m very excited,” beamed Pennock, whose first game in charge last Saturday at home to Worthing was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

“The opportunity came up here, the infrastructure is fantastic and after meeting the co-chairman and directors for the first time, it just felt right.

“Whatever has happened in the past is gone, I’ve got 11 games to turn it around and I’m really looking forward to it. Of course, it’s going to be tough but I can’t wait.

“The biggest thing for me is everyone has to be positive, it’s about these 11 games and we need everyone on board, especially the fans, but more importantly for me the players have got to jump on board. We’ve got 11 cup finals.

“I’m already loving the challenge. I’ve always said a football club is like a marriage, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors - and this club is run properly from top to bottom. They’re good people here and we need to turn it around as quickly as we can.”

With the Darts taking their time to replace former boss Alan Dowson, Pennock has certainly had longer than normal to do his homework.

He’s seen plenty of the team under caretaker boss Tony Burman so is already up to speed.

“I’ve watched about five or six games, I didn’t go to Bath or Truro, which was lucky given that one got called off!” revealed Pennock.

“We’ve been watching games just in case it did happen as I wanted to be prepared. I haven’t come in blind and not knowing the players, the systems they’ve been playing, substitutions and injuries.

“It’s a different pressure from the top to the bottom, it’s easier when you’re at the top fighting for promotion or trying to get into the play-offs.

“I’ve been in this position two or three times in my managerial career and you have to change, some players might not adapt to that pressure and are used to getting promotion or being involved in play-offs year in, year out.

“The biggest thing is working hard, if everybody works hard together then you’ve got a chance. If you’ve got four or five players not bothered about it, then you’ve got no chance.

“Even the long-term injured players, I want them involved. From the co-chairman to the people in the club shop, everyone has to be together and I need the supporters as well.

“People ask what’s my philosophy and it’s winning games. We’re in a situation now where our philosophy has to be winning games.

“I think the players here are good enough but maybe a couple of faces will freshen it up as well.

“I want our players to have a go. I’ll be working on shape and set-plays and how I want us to play in certain areas so those fresh ideas will help them. I want that togetherness.

“I’ll leave no stone unturned and whatever happens I’ll be doing the best I can for this football club.”

Pennock’s most recent job saw him managing abroad at Brunei side DPMM but he insists he’s still in touch with the non-league scene.

The new Dartford manager will retain assistant Craig Belgrave and Jim Stannard - a former team-mate at Gillingham - in his coaching staff while also leaning on the experience of director of football Tony Burman.

“I’ve been back since mid-December, I’ve been watching games since then,” he stated.

“I’ve got a million and one contacts, you’ve got wyscout and YouTube nowadays so everything you need is there.

“I know a lot of people in the area. I’d be crazy not to listen to Tony, I’ve got Craig and Jim. Everywhere I’ve been I will always listen to people, another pair of eyes is better than just my pair of eyes.

“I know the league, I’ve worked in this league, I’ve worked in the one above and higher than that.

“It’s irrelevant what people say. Maybe I’ve got to win those fans over? I don’t know if I have to, but I know I will.”
Tall Dart

Re: Ady relishing fresh challenge

Post by Tall Dart »

Full video link for anyone who hasn't seen it
Harry

Post by Harry »

Positive first impression, good interview. I like his honesty and the manner on which he came across. Seems a decent guy and is pretty realistic in his expectations.

Hoping Ade can bring in one or two additions and get us to into a more comfortable position in the league.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Nice to be able to understand him and no comments about the budget! Can’t deny we have moved late to replace Dowson and it may be all too late for Pennock to save us, but it would’ve been much worse had DFC not appointed anyone before season close and we had indeed “sleepwalked into relegation”.
One way to look at it is that eleven games is almost a quarter of a season, so enough to steer our own fate. In principle.

COYD
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

Seems a real genuine football man, good luck Ady.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Good Luck young man. Hope it all goes well for you. A good start at Torquay would be nice but I'll settle for a point. :)
KentC

Post by KentC »

No fitness coach, wtf, no wonder we concede so many late goals.
Well done Ade
KentC

Post by KentC »

He’s brought in a fitness coach and a striker, he’s spotted the needs and he’s acted on it. Amazing how a small bit of detail from the manager can give you confidence.
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

The fact we didn't already have a fitness coach says a lot about our current position
Bagdhad Billy

Post by Bagdhad Billy »

Having no fitness coach makes last seasons epic fail
from January onwards alongside this seasons loss of around
16 points at least in the last 10-15 minutes understandable
now. TBH it smacks of tin pot set up I’m glad we have someone
in now with a more professional outlook! Let’s hope it turns
into points…
Spike

Post by Spike »

Lack of fitness might explain all those late goals. I think the focus of the previous regime was mainly on karaoke.

We might not have many points, but boy can we bang out a tune.
Tall Dart

Post by Tall Dart »

Spike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:44 pm Lack of fitness might explain all those late goals. I think the focus of the previous regime was mainly on karaoke.

We might not have many points, but boy can we bang out a tune.
:lol: :lol:
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

So what was Jolley doing at the club? A twenty minute warm up before the game? A chat after when things went right.
I am beginning to wonder what the three musketeers did at our club.
And now karaoke. Endless talent.
Expecting HH to quickly be dragged further into the mire.