Dartford Players of The Past

Moderator: Gary C

The Futures White

Re: Dartford Players of The Past

Post by The Futures White »

Ryan Hayes has been promoted to a player/assistant manager role at Phoenix Sports.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Jesus Christ!! There’s hope for all of us??
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

I see Reece Charles-Cooke was given a straight red card for Welling tonight on 39mins away to Aveley.
Ended up in a 2-2 draw.
Paulcanary

Post by Paulcanary »

The Futures White wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:11 pm Ryan Hayes has been promoted to a player/assistant manager role at Phoenix Sports.

Delighted for Ryno. Total club legend 👍
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Paulcanary wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:49 pm
The Futures White wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:11 pm Ryan Hayes has been promoted to a player/assistant manager role at Phoenix Sports.

One of my top 5 players that has played for Dartford in my 40 years of watching Dartford.
Paulcanary

Post by Paulcanary »

BRASSNECK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:16 pm

One of my top 5 players that has played for Dartford in my 40 years of watching Dartford.
Yea. Still never understood how some never liked him. So
many assists and over a 100 goals - Nuff said
Hitchin Dart79

Post by Hitchin Dart79 »

Too true they would rather celebrate the plodder, blocker, shouter and “play it simple” brigade , rather than the bloke doing the hardest job in the game , beating your man knowing you may get the crap kicked out of you week in week out! I wish him every success and suspect he will
Make a great coach or manager!
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Paulcanary wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 pm

Those who never rated him are absolutely clueless.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I agree, one of my all time favourite Darts!

I also agree with M1S though; Ryno management material?!!
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

An interview with Adam Flanagan on Dartford fc twitter that is well worth a read , very honest and sums up just what an asset he was to the Darts as a Player , our Roy Keene of the time , last man in the trenches and determines the spirit of Tony Burmans teams of that period
I have many great memories of him including when an Aveley defender was stupid enough to mess with him at a Darts free kick and Flanners laid him out , unfortunatly the Ref also saw it and he got a red card , good day though we won 5/0 [ I think ?] which ended with Aveleys Bully of a Manager lambasting his team as we departed with the necessary vocal banter ??

What we would do for an Adam Flanagan in his prime now !!

nb I believe he would have done all right at the Darts as Main Manager with TB at his mentor instead of with a joint Manager [ which seldom works = who is final decision maker ??] who in my opinion was NOT up to the job !!

Adam Flanagan will always be welcome by everyone at PP

------------------------------

"I distinctly remember the first time I met Adam Flanagan… He was the Dartford manager, alongside Jamie Coyle, when I begun my role as the reporter for the Darts.

I remember how warm and open he was, as we spoke in the corridor at Powerhouse Princes Park while waiting for the coach to my first away trip with the club (at Wealdstone).

Sadly, his tenure as manager didn’t work out, as we all know. But, Adam is still as warm and open as we talk over WhatsApp and email about his playing career with the Darts.

“It’s been eleven years since I left the club as a player Chris. My last game was at home against Aveley, where we drew 3-3 from memory. Having captained the team that season and winning the league, my last game saw us pick up the Championship trophy. You couldn’t really have asked for a better last game/day from a playing perspective.”

Adam then decided to hang up his boots and retire from playing the beautiful game. Yet, his career within the sport didn’t end there, as he explains…

“After I stopped playing, I went into management and my aim was always to try and get back to Dartford in some remit. I was fortunate enough to have some early success in management and, after three seasons at another National League South club (Concord Rangers), I achieved what I’d set out to do, as I came back to the club as joint manager with a fellow team mate, Jamie Coyle. Unfortunately, this stint wasn’t as successful as the playing side and, even now is still something I look back on with disappointment.”

Despite the disappointment, Adam is still a legend of Dartford football club. Afterall, the defender made 133 starting appearances and twelve substitute appearances during his three seasons. And, it all started back on the 18th of August 2007 against Maldon Town. Does he remember that day?

“I remember that we ended up drawing 2-2. I didn’t think I played particularly well that day to be honest. I was nervous at being at a new club and the set up and fan base at Dartford wasn’t similar to what I’d experienced before. I think Ollie Berquez (who I think went on to play for the Darts) scored for Maldon on the day, and they were winning. But, we came back to get a draw… that’s all I remember Chris.”

As is mentioned above, Adam went on to make 145 appearances for Dartford. With those games comes many memories obviously, but is there any specific memory that stands out for him?

“When I think of Dartford, I think of the whole experience, which I genuinely loved. Sometimes, when you are in a moment, you don’t always get to appreciate things as much as you should. But, when I was at the club, I feel that I did. I signed when I was 30 years old, so I knew that I didn’t have many seasons left to play and, more so, the opportunities to play football at a club like Dartford. I was aware of this, so I made sure I enjoyed and valued every minute that I had at the club.”

He continues, “Fortunately, I was able to help the club gain two promotions, and I won the Player’s Player of The Year Award, so in terms of football it was successful. What probably adds to my love of the club was that, at the same time, I had my children and they were able to come and watch me play. Seeing my son and daughter at games was a special feeling… walking my children on the pitch when we won both leagues are memories that will always stay with me.”

Seeing as Adam has touched on those successful promotions. I ask him what his memories are of winning the Ryman League Division North and Ryman Premier League Championship with the Darts?

“My memories are ones of pure joy and pride Chris. Sharing special moments with some great players, a top management team and backroom staff. I felt that, as a player, I played more for the people that were in the stands and behind the scenes… the people that would have loved to have played for the club, but couldn’t, so winning the two championships for them and seeing what it meant to everyone was very humbling.”

During his time, Adam obviously played in 145 games for the club. Does he have any specific favourite?

“As I said earlier Chris, I loved every moment at Dartford. But, if I was pushed to pick one game, I’d probably have said Kingstonian away when we won 6-2. The result meant that we had won the league, as they were our closest rivals at the time, and we absolutely destroyed them! It was still an age where I felt the players and fans could have a real togetherness, so I remember fans coming onto the pitch. I remember Gary Clark coming over to me, so it was a good day.”

Adam scored on fourteen occasions during his spell at Dartford. Does he have any particular favourite(s)?

“To be fair, I don’t think any of my goals were that great, as they were typical centre-half goals. The one that probably was a bit unusual from the rest though, was my goal against Harlow in the FA Cup or FA Trophy. It was a shot from distance that flew in. So, that’s probably the best one if I had to pick one.”

As Adam has already said, the Dartford team that he played with had a great group of players. However, he believes that a couple really stood out to him and were underrated by others.

“I’d say that Ryan Hayes was the best player I played alongside. I would say that he was valued within our team and at the club, but he had a period of time where I felt he was unplayable and should have gone further. In terms of players that never let the club down and who I felt always went under the radar, Tommy Osborne was one of them. He was a fantastic player, who could play in several positions and I can’t recall him having many bad games.”

And, what about those you’ve played against? “When I played, I looked at most players we played against with nothing but ill will! I never looked at them with any value, other than wanting to make sure I did my best to stop them from playing well. I had the mind-set that I’d do whatever it took for us to win.”

I admire this mind-set in players, as winning is the name of the game. A “win at all costs” attitude is a positive attitude to have, particularly if you’re a defender. And, as our discussion draws to a close, I ask Adam one final question…

Do you still follow Dartford’s results? “I love Dartford Chris. So, of course I look out for the results. I would message Kingy on occasions when he took over, and I still speak to Dowse via messenger from time to time, offering support and from a place of wanting the managers and the club to do well.”

And now for something completely different to finish with… I asked Adam which five players (that he’s played alongside/against) he’d pick if he was involved in a five-a-side tournament. This is what he said…

“My team would consist of Cody McDonald (unattached), Lee Noble (retired) Elliott Bradbrook (retired), “Ryan Hayes (Phoenix Sports), and Paul Lorraine (unattached).”

By Chris Palmer"
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

The Duke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:47 pm An interview with Adam Flanagan on Dartford fc twitter that is well worth a read , very honest and sums up just what an asset he was to the Darts as a Player , our Roy Keene of the time , last man in the trenches and determines the spirit of Tony Burmans teams of that period
I have many great memories of him including when an Aveley defender was stupid enough to mess with him at a Darts free kick and Flanners laid him out , unfortunatly the Ref also saw it and he got a red card , good day though we won 5/0 [ I think ?] which ended with Aveleys Bully of a Manager lambasting his team as we departed with the necessary vocal banter ??

What we would do for an Adam Flanagan in his prime now !!

nb I believe he would have done all right at the Darts as Main Manager with TB at his mentor instead of with a joint Manager [ which seldom works = who is final decision maker ??] who in my opinion was NOT up to the job !!

Adam Flanagan will always be welcome by everyone at PP
I remember that day so well , their manager made them all sit on the centre spot while he went through each one of them telling them how shit they were . They had an ex Dart in the team ( John Guest ) I think and I shouted out your too good to play for them and their manager said did you hear that he is f*cking right and layed into them again lol .
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

Tom Bonner sent off playing for Cray Wanderers at Hastag Utd. Andy Pugh scores two for Phoenix Sports but 38 year old Ryan Hayes scores another beauty in their 3-1 win over Ashford Town.
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

I suspect the cries of one nil , where heard all around the ground! I really miss Pugh senior!!!
Paulcanary

Post by Paulcanary »

tommytollbooth wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:02 am Tom Bonner sent off playing for Cray Wanderers at Hastag Utd. Andy Pugh scores two for Phoenix Sports but 38 year old Ryan Hayes scores another beauty in their 3-1 win over Ashford Town.
Saturday just gone I was deciding whether to see Phoenix play at home (seeing Ryno and Pughy play) and the Darts at Tonbridge

I went Tonbridge and wish I hadn’t 😞 one of the top 3 worse darts performance for years and I’ve seen sone bad ones lol Wish I had seen the ex darts in action.

Come on Dartford fc. You’re losing us long term supporters and I say that with a heavy heart 😞
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Paulcanary wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:26 pm
tommytollbooth wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:02 am Tom Bonner sent off playing for Cray Wanderers at Hastag Utd. Andy Pugh scores two for Phoenix Sports but 38 year old Ryan Hayes scores another beauty in their 3-1 win over Ashford Town.
Saturday just gone I was deciding whether to see Phoenix play at home (seeing Ryno and Pughy play) and the Darts at Tonbridge

I went Tonbridge and wish I hadn’t 😞 one of the top 3 worse darts performance for years and I’ve seen sone bad ones lol Wish I had seen the ex darts in action.

Come on Dartford fc. You’re losing us long term supporters and I say that with a heavy heart 😞
When things are not going to well then that’s when supporters should get behind the team not run off and support other teams.
I guess you are a Norwich supporter and they have been rubbish for years but you still support them you wouldn’t go off and support Ipswich.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Dean, as I say, I am cherry picking my games now. Since moving down to Herne Bay and now Faversham believe me I have tried to support my local club. But it's never the same as supporting the Darts. I can't find the enthusiasm for another club.
Wherever I am I always look for the lads first, no matter how badly they are playing. Even when I watch Faversham ( twice now) I'm always on my phone.
Having been born not far from PP it will always be my club.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

BRASSNECK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:53 pm
Paulcanary wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:26 pm

When things are not going to well then that’s when supporters should get behind the team not run off and support other teams.
I guess you are a Norwich supporter and they have been rubbish for years but you still support them you wouldn’t go off and support Ipswich.
Dean to be honest as much as I am a loyal long term supporter of the team I am really struggling to find the motivation to bother going to games at present as well. I certainly wouldn’t go and support another team but can’t get the motivation or enthusiasm to go to many DFC games either especially away games. I was going to go to Tonbridge but got caught up with Christmas shopping and bloody glad I was now after seeing that result. I’m afraid apart from the 3 new loan signings we have there is very little else to want to watch, the way Dowse picks his teams and has them lined up is not exactly exciting stuff and the way the team has played virtually all season is enough to put you to sleep on the terraces.
I’m afraid it really is time for either Dowse to walk away or the board to do the honourable thing and sack him as things are going from bad to worse.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

The reasons why some supporters were frustrated by Ryno's performances were the very same reasons why clubs higher up the pyramid never signed him! If he had been great at tracking back and tackling he would never have stayed at DFC for very long as he would have been playing at a much higher level. Ryno on his day was a game changer - one day he was a game changer for the wrong reason, in the FA Cup against Port Vale
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Taunton Dart wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:36 pm Ryno on his day was a game changer - one day he was a game changer for the wrong reason, in the FA Cup against Port Vale
I was there (for once :D ) - I remember to this day! :(

Dartford v Port Vale Sat 6th Nov 2010 FT 1-1 Att 3679
Scorers: Bradbrook
Team: Whitehouse, Burgess, Bonner, Champion, Goodacre, Shinn, Hayes, Harris, Rook, Burns, Bradbrook.
Subs used: Sheringham
Skip

Post by Skip »

Taunton Dart wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:36 pm
BRASSNECK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:16 pm One of my top 5 players that has played for Dartford in my 40 years of watching Dartford.

The reasons why some supporters were frustrated by Ryno's performances were the very same reasons why clubs higher up the pyramid never signed him! If he had been great at tracking back and tackling he would never have stayed at DFC for very long as he would have been playing at a much higher level. Ryno on his day was a game changer - one day he was a game changer for the wrong reason, in the FA Cup against Port Vale
I appreciate hardworking players as much as the next man. In fact, the great Alan Budden was one of my favourite Darts (and he only played one season for us) but as Dowse is finding out now unless you actually have some quality in your squad and give that player licence to create goal scoring opportunities for your forwards and midfielders then you end up with the uninspiring football on offer that everyone keeps describing, week in, week out.