Park Life

Re: Dartford v Dover Mon 28 Aug 2023

Post by Park Life »

FT 2-0.
Thoroughly deserved.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Well done lads. First home win and second clean sheet on the trot. A happier atmosphere there I expect now.
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Park Life wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm Sub:-
Allen for Manor
Obviously was! 😉
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

A win, a clean sheet and an overall solid performance to complete the bank holiday double.

How their number 5 was still on the pitch at the end was a disgrace, he was giving Harvey grief since minute 1 and seemed to get away with most of it. Was it a kick out that left Harvey floored by the dugouts at the end? Certainly looked like something malicious from my position. There aren't any good refs in this league every week it's the same. Pretty sure he also elbowed/punched Harvey at one point, which caused the ref to consult his linesman and do nothing. Coulson being booked for diving was another joke

Dover didn't really trouble our goal, I still think there's more to come from our team especially our midfield but we defended well and any of the back line could've got my MOTM vote. I'm giving it to Baris. I think he's been excellent at left back since playing there considering he's more prominently a centre half and today contributed not only defensively but helped on the attack as well.

A shame about the pen, but did anyone think we was going to score it considering our recent record?!

Priority has to be to extend Golding's loan. Our defence has looked so so much better since he came in and to lose him within the next month would be a real shame.

Starting to move up the table and things clicking into place on the pitch.

COYD
Spike

Post by Spike »

I hesitate to use the word "easy", but I'd be very worried if I was a Dover supporter right now. They are in a right mess and on a downward spiral which in my view is entirely their own fault being a dirrct result of their unnecessary and foolish decision to unilaterally withdraw from fulfilling their fixtures during covid. That said, I do feel a bit sorry for their fans and credit to them for sticking with it.

As for today, Darts controlled the game from start to finish, so much so that I didn't even find the last 15 minutes stressful. We're getting better and things are starting to gel. Good solid performance in very hot conditions especially given we played 48 hours ago.

MOTM is a tough one, but I went for Harvey who worked hard and kept plugging away.
Last edited by Spike on Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

It was only a matter of time. 🎯🎯
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Well done to all in the team a good result and thanks to a solid defensive display no real chances offered to Dover
Two good goals saw us with the win and just a shame that we couldn't make it three with a very poor penalty which I was hoping Harvey would take but then saw Luke with no attempt to jink or feint before striking the ball and not even a shot straight down the middle but high and wide over the crossbar. :x
Any in the defence could have got M.O.M. but I gave it to Harvey for persevering and having to suffer from the appalling actions from their 5 and getting little or no protection from the referee
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

Finally made it to a match this season. Not a great match and not helped by some poor decisions by the man in the middle. We looked soilid and our keeper was hardly troubled. The Dover keeper made a couple of very good saves and the crossbar saved them on one occasion. At times we took one pass too many when a shot may have been a better option. The big men up front caused Dover numerous problems and they could only restrain us by foul means, often overlooked by the officials. Disappointed by the behaviour of the Dover No. 5 and full credit to our players for their discipline in the circumstances. What game were the officials watching?

Only one defeat in six matches and only three teams with fewer goals conceded. It is early days, but those numbers give me some confidence in our hopes for this season.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

We controlled the first half and looked dangerous every time we put a decent ball into their box and might have gone it at HT with a bigger lead.
Our second half performance was better and it was no surprise when we went two up, in the end we could have scored a few more.
But another win and clean sheet makes it a very good b/h weekend.

We have a long hard season ahead and will face tougher opposition but this was arguably our best all round performance so far and more importantly you can see the players personal performances are improving.

MOTM a real tough one as their are a fair few contenders so will have a think on that.

Thought the ref was a bit inconsistent and missed a few off the ball incidents and the difference in how he treated their number 5 to James Golding was laughable. James won several good headers and challenges but the ref penalised him virtually every time, whereas their number 5 pretty much did what he wanted (on and off the ball) but the ref totally ignored that.
Last edited by Park Life on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Their managers post match interview:-

DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Some excellent posts above, accurately assessing the result, performance and serious plight that today’s opposition find themselves in. Be very interesting to know how our boys would have faired against Worthing today.
Defensively, we have locked up. Tommy Block has transitioned from a rumour to a very diverse and physical asset. Golding is a powerhouse, yet calm and composed. Going forward, Rooney looks enterprising and solid. Manor turned his best performance in a Dartford shirt and Harvey continues to be the ‘don’t take your eyes off him’ player, comedic but passionate and dedicated.

There is certainly potential for DFC to achieve highly this season. The key is probably getting them all on the same hymn sheet, which seems to be one of Dowson’s best management attributes.
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

As very comfortable 2-0 win but it and should have been more . Not quite as much long ball today and we look so much better when we get the ball down and play .
Dover look at all the places from set pieces and unless their keeper claimed the ball they were always looking like they would concede. No surprise then that both our goals came from corners.

Here are the goals

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Well Done today Darts and an excellent defensive display and a clean sheet again for Mitch only having to me possibly 2 saves all game.
MOTM could’ve gone to a few players but I gave it to Lewis who I thought worked hard and won almost every ball that came his way especially in the air plus chipped in with our 2nd goal.

As for the penalty the less said about that the better, absolutely dreadful as though Luke didn’t know what he was doing.

The referee was absolute toilet all game, there was so many mistakes made by him and so many fouls he either missed or ignored. How he booked Luke for diving when running towards goal and being chopped down by the Dover player was a joke.
The referee even told a fan to F##k Off after getting a load of abuse from the crowd when Luke was taken out by the goal line.
He was a joke all game letting Dover get away with the fouls they did, our players especially Harvey did well to keep their composure.

6pts from the last 2 games shows we are making the changes to how we play & line up where we look stronger as 4-4-2.

Well Done Dowse & Darts.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Match Report by Chris Palmer

https://www.dartfordfc.com/match-report ... thletic-0/

Goals from James Golding and Lewis Manor were the order of the day, as Dartford secured victory with an excellent performance over rivals Dover Athletic at Bericote Powerhouse Princes Park.

Fresh from securing a first win of the season at Aveley on Saturday, Alan Dowson’s side followed that up with another fine win and second consecutive clean sheet in front of 1,203 supporters.

The opening exchanges saw a majority of the game played in the middle of the park, with few opportunities created. However, the hosts did test goalkeeper Billy Terrell first, when Luke Coulson’s follow-up from a blocked effort flew straight into the grateful arms of the Dover shot-stopper (3).

Meanwhile, George Nikaj failed to test Mitchell Beeney at the other end following an excellent attack by the visitors in the 24th minute.

The hosts, however, soon got a firm grip on proceedings and forced a few corners in quick succession before finally making one count. Luke Coulson swung a delightful set-piece into the box, which the Dover defence failed to clear. After a scramble for control, the ball found James Golding, who was on hand to stab it into the back of the net (27).

The Dartford Skipper then came agonisingly close to doubling the lead with a sweet set-piece in the 33rd minute. Unfortunately, his 25-yard free-kick was saved by Terrell, as Dover struggled to deal with the hosts.

The visitors did come close themselves shortly afterwards, but Nikaj was once again guilty of being unable to find the target during a swift counter-attack (36), before the Darts were unlucky to not have doubled their advantage within sixty seconds.

A terrific attack by the Darts ended up with the ball coming into the path of Joash Nembhard. He pulled the trigger perfectly with a delightful volley, but the ball smacked back off of Terrell’s upright before being cleared (37), as the visitors were relieved to only be a goal behind at the break.

The start of the second-half saw Alan Dowson swap Tommy Block with Maxwell Statham (46). The Dartford boss would go on to replace Lewis Manor with Luke Allen (70) and Luke Coulson with Ollie Box late on (85).

Meanwhile, Mitch Brundle would replace George Nikaj with Zidan Sutherland (57), before making a double change in the 66th minute with Iffy Allen and Nick Dembelle coming on for Fuad Sesay and Joshua Anifowose respectively.

Returning to the action, the Darts should have doubled their advantage within three minutes of the restart. Lewis Manor and Luke Coulson combined well, with the former sending the latter through on goal. But, Billy Terrell somehow got something on the ball, which was enough to send the ball off-target (48)!

The missed opportunity wasn’t punished by the visitors, who were offering very little so far during the second forty-five and, six minutes later Dartford deservedly doubled their advantage.

Once again, the goal arrived via another Luke Coulson corner, which was delivered perfectly for Lewis Manor. His powerful header left Terrell with absolutely no chance of saving, as the Darts all but secured the victory (54).

Having already booked Fuad Sesay and James Dunne of Dover, referee Mr Michael Robertson-Tant, then proceeded to issue yellow cards to both Harvey Bradbury and Luke Coulson… the latter was seemingly bizarre because the Dartford Captain was floored by his marker, yet the referee booked Coulson instead! Dover’s Dantai Stewart was also booked late on, as tempers began to boil over and he decided to be a little too vocal about his opinions.

As the game continued, the hosts were offered the opportunity to add a third goal after an apparent hand-ball inside the Dover box. Luke Coulson stepped up to take the spot-kick, but his effort was a little too high of its intended target and the lead remained at two (76).

The Darts weren’t to be denied though, as they saw out the remainder of the game in a professional manner. Baris Altintop would be the third Dartford player to be booked, making that “score” 3-3 late on, but the Dartford defence remained resolute.

Central Defender, Joash Nembhard, earned a thoroughly deserved Man of The Match award, but this was in all honesty an excellent team effort.

The result sees the Darts climb up to eleventh position in the National League South table, just a point away from the play-off spots in what is already shaping up to be another extremely competitive season.

TEAMS

DARTFORD: Mitchell Beeney, Jordan Wynter, Tommy Block, Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Baris Altintop, Luke Coulson (c), Paul Rooney, Lewis Manor, James Golding, Joash Nembhard, Harvey Bradbury.

SUBSTITUTES: Luke Allen, Maxwell Statham, Tom Wray, Ollie Box, Moussa Diarra.

DOVER ATHLETIC: Billy Terrell, Peter Oseman, Michael Olareweju, James Dunne (c), Joshua Anifowose, George Nikaj, Charles Naylor, Luke Baptiste, Dantai Stewart, Fuad Sesay, John Oyenuga.

SUBSTITUTES: Zidan Sutherland, George Wilkinson, Nick Dembelle, Ifay Allen, Archie Hatcher.

Chris Palmer
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Great win and the table looks a lot better now, do we get any money from the livestream of this match? Hope so.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Good comfortable win for the Darts against a poor Dover side but you can only beat whats put in front of you ,the No5s of the ball treatment to Harvey was cowardly and full marks to Harvey for having the class to not react , I just hope after the final whistle he told the useless tw'#t what he really thought of him

Our bench contained no strikers today and against much better teams than Dover could have backfired on us and not acceptable for a team wanting to get into the play offs and I hope Dowse is looking to bring in another striker as clearly Wall/Sheringham [ for whatever reasons] are not the answer !!!!!!!
Hope Tommy Blocks knock today is minor as he has played great in the last 4 games and can see why Dowse says he is the best right back in the league !!
MOTM really tough today with any 1 of 6 winning it but I will go for Nembhard l at centre back
Spike

Post by Spike »

The Duke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:27 pm Our bench contained no strikers today ...
Ollie Box may be a youngster, but having watched him several times I can say that he is most definitely a striker and potentially a bloody good one.

... but I take your point about Wall and Sheringham, good players though they both are, Douglas Bader had fewer injury problems.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Spike wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:54 pm
The Duke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:27 pm Our bench contained no strikers today ...
Ollie Box may be a youngster, but having watched him several times I can say that he is most definitely a striker and potentially a bloody good one.

... but I take your point about Wall and Sheringham, good players though they both are, Douglas Bader had fewer injury problems.
I never realised Ollie Box was a striker, every time I’ve seen him play he’s always been in midfield.
Spike

Post by Spike »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:40 pm I never realised Ollie Box was a striker, every time I’ve seen him play he’s always been in midfield.
I've watched him play many times. He scored for fun at academy level last season and has already got a hat trick in his first game this season. He's an excellent finisher, one of those players who just has a knack of being in the right place at the right time, very different style to the 4 big guys we have at the moment. Of course, there's a world of difference between academy level and the first team, but the lad is definitely in with a shout if he knuckles down and keeps his feet on the ground.