Luke Coulson
3%
Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 29

Park Life

Re: Aveley v Dartford Sat 26 Aug 2023

Post by Park Life »

First 20 mins was a bit end to end but rest of the first half just drifted along with neither side taking control.
Second half i felt without dominating, we were the better side and over the 90 minutes deserved the win.
Clean sheet, late winning goal so a classic away performance.

Disallowed penalty was a real mess form the officials. Personally didn't think it was a pen but the ref gave it and the linesman did not flag or make any gesture to the contrary. Their players complained and then the ref for some reason went and spoke to the linesman and they decided to disallow it?? How can that be when he gave it and the linesman never disagreed at the time?? However they got lucky because it probably was the right decision and glad it turned out that way as it meant we won the game without any controversy when Harvey popped up with the late winner.

Important to get the first win on the board and hopefully we can make it a B/H double with another win over the French on Monday.

COYD
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

Never really expected us to be taking 5 games to get our first win of the season, but even so, with the benefit of 3 draws, we still only find ourselves just 3 points of the last playoff place and only 6 off the top spot. Quite unbelievable really, given our slow start!

Once again, another excellent commentary from Will Bass. Clear, concise, unbiased and detailed reporting. A pleasure to tune in, although I did lose connection twice this afternoon.

Well done Bradbury in notching another goal too!!

COYD
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Park Life wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:27 pm First 20 mins was a bit end to end but rest of the first half just drifted along with neither side taking control.
Second half i felt without dominating, we were the better side and over the 90 minutes deserved the win.

Disallowed penalty was a real mess form the officials. Personally didn't think it was a pen but the ref gave it and the linesman did not flag or make any gesture to the contrary. Their players complained and then the ref for some reason went and spoke to the linesman and they decided to disallow it?? How can that be when he gave it and the linesman never disagreed at the time?? However they got lucky because it probably was the right decision and glad it turned out that way as it meant we won the game without any controversy when Harvey popped up with the late winner.

Important to get the first win on the board and hopefully we can make it a B/H double with another win over the French on Monday.

COYD
Clearly neither of the two match officials were sure (a big seed of doubt had been planted by Aveley’s remonstrations) and they erred on the side of caution. To me that was obvious given the length of time they took to discus it! Referee again poor today all round!!
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

Tony H wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:35 pm
Park Life wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:27 pm First 20 mins was a bit end to end but rest of the first half just drifted along with neither side taking control.

COYD
Clearly neither of the two match officials were sure (a big seed of doubt had been planted by Aveley’s remonstrations) and they erred on the side of caution. To me that was obvious given the length of time they took to discus it! Referee again poor today all round!!
According to the commentator he said it was not a penalty.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Dart of Herts

Post by Dart of Herts »

I wasn’t there (listened to commentary) but a few thoughts on the penalty debate:

1) Commentator said the whole time he didn’t think it was a penalty.

2) You wouldn’t expect the linesman to overrule a referee’s decision, but he kept his flag down and then once the referee consulted him, he said how he saw it.

3) Was there a massive shout from us for handball? And was there much protest from our players when the penalty decision was overturned?

4) In my opinion, if as a referee it is obvious from the words and/or body language of BOTH teams that you have made the wrong call, then I think it is fair to consult your linesman and overturn said decision. That doesn’t mean you’re giving into protests of one team. Even though the final call went against us, I think that’s good refereeing and common sense.

5) The whole thing was quicker than any VAR decision I’ve seen this season.
Last edited by Dart of Herts on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

After being stuck in traffic for over an hour trying to make the crossing, I am so glad that I didn't turn around to miss all the excitement of an away win, although, I still missed the first 15 minutes! Good performances all over the pitch and the one thing that we are doing better this season is that we are managing to keep possession of the ball for longer periods and not just relying on 5 minute spells to win a game. I think it was a correct call on the penalty and we probably had a better shout in that goal line scramble, how we didn't manage to score beggars belief. I will have to wait to see the replay on that incident. Now looking forward to Monday.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Excellent result whether it was a good performance or ugly. We were playing a team that has started well in the league with wins over supposedly good sides, Worthing and Eastbourne although both have been splashing the cash.
It's been a long time coming but hopefully Dowse is getting them playing together. Hopefully the winning form continues Monday.
COYD'S
KSTDART

Post by KSTDART »

Jonty wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:01 pm After being stuck in traffic for over an hour trying to make the crossing, I am so glad that I didn't turn around to miss all the excitement of an away win, although, I still missed the first 15 minutes! Good performances all over the pitch and the one thing that we are doing better this season is that we are managing to keep possession of the ball for longer periods and not just relying on 5 minute spells to win a game. I think it was a correct call on the penalty and we probably had a better shout in that goal line scramble, how we didn't manage to score beggars belief. I will have to wait to see the replay on that incident. Now looking forward to Monday.
It was definitely not over the line in the goal mouth scramble
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Dart of Herts wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:29 pm I wasn’t there (listened to commentary) but a few thoughts on the penalty debate:

1) Commentator said the whole time he didn’t think it was a penalty.

2) You wouldn’t expect the linesman to overrule a referee’s decision, but he kept his flag down and then once the referee consulted him, he said how he saw it.

3) Was there a massive shout from us for handball? And was there much protest from our players when the penalty decision was overturned?

4) In my opinion, as a referee, if it is obvious from the words and/or body language of BOTH teams that you have made the wrong call, then I think it is fair to consult your linesman and overturn said decision. That doesn’t mean you’re giving into protests of one team. Even though the final call went against us, I think that’s good refereeing and common sense.

5) The whole thing was quicker than any VAR decision I’ve seen this season.
Very good point and well explained! A bit like awarding a dodgy corner and then blowing for an imaginary foul by an attacker as soon as the corner is taken! I might’ve done that one or three times. 😉
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

KSTDART wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:18 pm
Jonty wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:01 pm After being stuck in traffic for over an hour trying to make the crossing, I am so glad that I didn't turn around to miss all the excitement of an away win, although, I still missed the first 15 minutes! Good performances all over the pitch and the one thing that we are doing better this season is that we are managing to keep possession of the ball for longer periods and not just relying on 5 minute spells to win a game. I think it was a correct call on the penalty and we probably had a better shout in that goal line scramble, how we didn't manage to score beggars belief. I will have to wait to see the replay on that incident. Now looking forward to Monday.
It was definitely not over the line in the goal mouth scramble
Thanks Kev, I just can't see how the ball got cleared without hands being involved.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

No the five scope it away from the line with his hand, if the ref had saw it it would have been a red card and a penalty.

Shocking officials again!
Spike

Post by Spike »

Re the pen that was and then wasn't. Never in a million years was it ever a penalty. It was right in ftont of us and we were all falling about laughing when it was initially given. It doesn't give you much confidence when the ref calls it as handball (they can only give "what they see" but then changed his mind after speaking to the linesman. Okay he eventually got the right decision but why give a pen in the first place if he wasn't sure enough about what he'd "seen"?

Anyway, it was great to get the win and as the two Aveley fans I overheard at the end said, Darts just about deserved it, especially on the second half performance. This wasn't a case of us finally getting a bit of luck, it's nothing to do with luck. Our all round play hasn't been too bad but we failed in those other games because we made clumsy errors, we won today because we didn't.

MOTM Tommy Block
Lennylenny

Post by Lennylenny »

Traffic,horrendous!!Was worth the admission to see the two mature ladies behind the bar trying to work out how to use a card machine! Never a penalty from a ref who I think had quite a good game, ball wasn’t over line and players nearest didn’t appeal for handball and didn’t like the way every throw was hurled into the box, specially when it wasn’t effective. We looked better when Charlie came on, let’s hope with playing time goals are on there way.There is a good team in there somewhere,trying to get out, when they click and with a bit more attacking licence , results will come.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

KentC

Post by KentC »

The ref had a good game? Fair enough it’s all about opinions.
I was bang in like with the pen and most people around me are still laughing.

I thought we did well, we seem to struggle finishing, plenty of half chances and probably a few better than that.
I think our build of play was very good until we’re actually in site of goal.

At risk of contradicting myself still too many long high balls when we have better options with a pass, missed a few opportunities getting round the back a few times with a pass through the spaces and chose to lump it.

I always feel a bit more confident when Charlie is on the pitch but that’s nothing against anyone else, I just think technically he’s very good and his spacial awareness and movement is top draw.

Hopefully a decent crowd tomorrow, let’s give them hell
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Didn't make the game today I wanted to see the new ground but with the thoughts of the delays at the tunnel I changed my mind or was just being lazy
Well done to the team and a win at last and even better a goal from Harvey in the final minutes of the time added on. :lol:
I was a big fan of Harvey last season and it's so good to see that he is carrying on with goals this season plus I have Harvey as a middle name so that gives me even more faith in him :D
Well done to the whole team movement up the table and looking forward to a home win tomorrow especially as it's Dover

KentC said
I always feel a bit more confident when Charlie is on the pitch but that’s nothing against anyone else, I just think technically he’s very good and his spacial awareness and movement is top draw.
I couldn't agree more and hope he will get a chance to start earlier in the game and not because of injuries soon because if balls are going to be hit high he can also win them in the air with head and chest is able to make chances for others in the box with his distribution and can take on defenders with his runs as well as scoring goals.
No criticism of the current front runners but just an option to make a change which I would like to see to support Harvey :idea:
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

After the event oh my aching head. Lenny, if they couldn't work out the card machine God help us if they have to revert back to money.
Let's get two wins under our belt tomorrow, I don't want to come home grumpy.
Aprouddart

Post by Aprouddart »

I really liked Aveley's new ground, thought it was very neat, although still not a fan of artificial pitches, very high bounce.

Massive result that will really help the confidence of the team and management but in truth it was a very poor match
with very little quality from either team. With two big men up front we really need to improve on crosses and deliveries
into the box, which were poor all match. No stand out performers but gave my MOM to Luke C who put in a proper captains
shift working hard all over the pitch.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Off and running, first win under our belts! Well done to all concerned 👏👏

Actually thought we were the better all round team yesterday without really threatening their goal. We’ll get better!!

As for the ground - okay, but frankly the beer is shit (flat/cloudy) and exorbitantly priced. Am I right what I heard - they charged more for Darts fans than their own fans at the bar!?

Big win tomorrow - come on! 👊