Dowson ponders squad moves - 24/08/23

Park Life

Dowson ponders squad moves - 24/08/23

Post by Park Life »

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... es-292205/

Dartford manager Alan Dowson will use a clear week in their schedule to decide what changes need to be made to his squad.

It’s only four games into the National League South season but Dowson has been left frustrated by Dartford’s failure to see games out.

They’ve drawn three games out of three at home - all matches they could have won. Bath claimed a point with a 95th-minute leveller on the opening day and Hampton equalised with eight minutes left last midweek.

On Saturday, the Darts pressed the self-destruct button when winger Brandon Barzey’s needless challenge gifted Farnborough a penalty, which former Dartford striker Alfie Pavey converted deep into stoppage time.

“After a game it’s hard because you’re in a mood having just conceded in the 98th minute but during the week things calm down a bit and I’ll have to decide what the best way forward is then,” explained Dowson.

“We’ve got to work on the training ground and work on personnel as well.

“I can cut one or two now. A couple of senior players are doing my head in, a couple of senior ones are not producing and are just going through the motions. I’ve got to look at the senior players more than anybody else.”

Dowson needs to decide whether to bring in another goalkeeper or not.

Mitch Beeney joined from relegated Concord in the close season but, having played the opening game, he was replaced at Weymouth and against Hampton by on-loan Accrington keeper Jack McIntyre.

However, McIntyre was recalled before Saturday due to injuries at the League 2 club so Beeney was back in goal against Farnborough. He had little to do, in truth, but did make an excellent late save which looked as though it was going to be enough to preserve all three points.

Asked if he was going to bring another goalkeeper in, Dowson replied: “We might do, we’ll see what happens in the next week. We’ve got a week to sort a few things out so I need to do that.

“It’s only four games in and where we are doesn’t really matter, we’ve just got to get out of it. We’re massively disappointed with that and some of the players threw us under the bus a bit. That’s how I feel at the minute.”

Left-sided player Joe Rabbetts has been recalled by Dorking Wanderers from his half-season loan, again due to injuries at his parent club.
Mark Sweet

Re: Dowse Interview - 24/08/23

Post by Mark Sweet »

Interesting interview, a wake up call for players for sure and hopefully it has a positive effect and we start winning games.