Player news

Moderator: Gary C

BRASSNECK

Re: Player news

Post by BRASSNECK »

I have it on good authority that the statement was written tonight after Tom made his final decision after speaking with Dowse today.
Dowse had been in conversation with Tom hoping he would change his mind.
Last edited by BRASSNECK on Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Good luck Tom and thank you for all those years of loyal service to the club. There's been some great memories and you will go down as one of the very best players to have worn the shirt.

Nevertheless, whilst we have to respect Tom's decision and wish him all the best for the future, it does leave us with a massive hole to fill and I am hardly brimming with optimism about the coming season.
DA Mikey

Post by DA Mikey »

Not sure who’s more gutted about this - me or the missus (for very different reasons), but as always, important to respect the decision and remember the good times.
Certainly has been a huge impact at the club and thoroughly deserving of all his awards. Top bloke too.

You’ll be massively missed Tom, all the best for the future and hope to see you around PP often.
Trevor B

Post by Trevor B »

Tom you will be missed and so many of us fans disappointed but we all have to accept your very good reasons for calling a halt now to your career
All those many seasons where you have given 100% for the club and have been totally committed to giving your very best for each game and as captain have urged and inspired the other players to do likewise.
You will be sadly missed and it is very unlikely that any player we find to replace you will be able to give the same performances that you gave us
All the very best to you and your family for the future
KentC

Post by KentC »

Tom has done what he needs to do for him and his family and I respect that 100%.

From a selfish point of view I’m absolutely gutted, massive shoes to fill as a defender and a captain.

I wish him and his family all the best.
Lars Resort

Post by Lars Resort »

Obviously gutted by this news but not surprised. Great club player that will be hard to replace. Dowse obviously had an inkling that Tom was thinking of going and along with Connor knew it was going to leave a big hole at the back.
Now he has a mighty huge job on to cement the gap that was our center of defense.
tommytollbooth

Post by tommytollbooth »

Along with Bradders, Lee Noble and Haysie a great Dartford player of recent times, how will we replace him?. I can understand why Tom and Connor with young families of course want to spend more time with them and next seasons travelling in the National league south will be crazy with so many teams from the Southwest. Good Luck Tom and thanks.
MickW

Post by MickW »

Good luck for the future Tom and thank you for your time with us - you have been massive.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

I think atleast a few of us knew Tom Bonner was thinking of hanging up his boots on the evening following the play-off semi-final.
Fair play to everyone who refrained from going public on the forum out of respect for Tom.
Retiring from football is one of the toughest decisions a player has to make.
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

Just back from 5 days in Yorkshire so 1st chance to digest the news , I echo everything positive thats been said about Tom, fully understand the reasons and wish him every success with the new business and future family health and happiness

Dowse has a big job of finding two real quality centre backs ideally to be a serious part of pre season training but at least it appears that the decision was not as bigger shock to him than to the vast majority of Darts Fans , so he will have some serious contenders in mind ????

Lets ALL hope so !!!!!
KentC

Post by KentC »

tommytollbooth wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am Along with Bradders, Lee Noble and Haysie a great Dartford player of recent times, how will we replace him?. I can understand why Tom and Connor with young families of course want to spend more time with them and next seasons travelling in the National league south will be crazy with so many teams from the Southwest. Good Luck Tom and thanks.

Branders and Noble were top top quality and Tom is absolutely of that ilk
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

So, let me get this straight. Quite a few people had an inkling that Bonner was going, particularly Dowse. Before the end of last season!!. Essam quit a while ago, so alarm bells should have been ringing back then.
On the 22nd of THIS month Tom makes it official.
Two central defenders gone the last week of June.
Tom was a great club player, no denying. But he has now left us in quite a pickle well into the Summer break.
I'm not putting a damper on what Tom did and was for this club.
But I am beginning to wonder, again, on the management's thinking.
I hope they have at least one central defender in the pipeline. :?
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

When I posted on this subject about 10 days ago I had no idea that Tom was retiring [ NOT like the Club and a few insider trackers ! ] hence my concern as to why he had not signed ? , it appears that Tom made his view [ decision] at[ least] after the final game and the the lack of communication was simply Dowse delaying announcing the decision whilst spending circa 6 weeks [ presumably] try to talk Tom into one final season ?

With Connor Essam gone early presumably Dowse was concentrating his efforts on at least one replacement whilst keeping his eye open for a 2nd [ in case Tom didnt sign , so I guess we should be covered ????]
Spike

Post by Spike »

KentC wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:54 pm
tommytollbooth wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am Along with Bradders, Lee Noble and Haysie a great Dartford player of recent times, how will we replace him?. I can understand why Tom and Connor with young families of course want to spend more time with them and next seasons travelling in the National league south will be crazy with so many teams from the Southwest. Good Luck Tom and thanks.

Branders and Noble were top top quality and Tom is absolutely of that ilk
That's a bit transparent Kentc. Let it go mate. 😆
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

My monies on you having it in one Duke!!
rambo

Post by rambo »

Looking at the list of players signed so far it looks as if we don’t have any centre half’s at the moment, can any fellow fans confirm this
Dowse obviously knew early on that Connor and Tom were leaving so I have no doubt that dowse must be working on 2/3 targets so I expect to hear of signings very soon
Spike

Post by Spike »

The youngster, George Whitefield, would appear to be our only centre back Rambo. He's an excellent prospect but you'd think he would be cover for 2 experienced guys, at least to start with. Ideally, he'd have a Bonzo type mentor to guide his progress.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

We started last season with a squad of 18 players, the last one being signed 3 days before the start of the season.

We currently have 18 players signed including the three from the academy (George, Jayden and Olly).
Not sure how many Dowse will want to run with but with a couple of central defenders added would that be our squad virtually completed or will there be further additions??

I believe Dowse has been away this week so hopeful we might hear some more news next week.

Jordan Wynter
Tommy Block
Marvin Herschel
Sam Odaudu
Lewis Manor
Harvey Bradbury
Maxwell Statham
Paul Rooney
Alex Wall
Tom Wray
Luke Allen
Luke Coulson
Tyrell Miller-Rodney
Brandon Barzey
Mitchell Beeney
George Whitefield
Jayden Boulton
Olly Box
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

At present we only have 1 experienced keeper in Mitchell with young Tom Wray as his back up. I’m not sure just how much competition Tom will be for Mitchell though to really push him as I don’t think he’s had that much 1st team football apart from may be a loan spell at a lower level.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Thanks Spike I thought one of the three boys would be a centre half. Without doubt we need to sign two centre half’s then