Player news

Moderator: Gary C

Skip

Re: Player news

Post by Skip »

DA Mikey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:34 pm
    Lars Resort wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:19 am I'd like to think that Rooney and Rodney know a bit about each other to give us a bit of strength in midfield.
    And they should have interchangeable identity bracelets!
    Absolute quality! 🤣🤣🤣
    Skip (now residing in Suffolk)
    Spike

Post by Spike »

Lennylenny wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:00 pm A forum is a place for opinions ,as long as there’s no agenda behind it , views should be respected. I hope Dowse has found a gem who will entertain , I hope he does have a few quid left to get the players he needs , i (singular , just my thoughts) think this is the toughest division I’ve seen in a longtime ,and a top ten finish will be a success.
    If we finish 10th, personally I would regard that as a massive fail.
    Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Spike wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:25 pm
    Lennylenny wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:00 pm A forum is a place for opinions ,as long as there’s no agenda behind it , views should be respected. I hope Dowse has found a gem who will entertain , I hope he does have a few quid left to get the players he needs , i (singular , just my thoughts) think this is the toughest division I’ve seen in a longtime ,and a top ten finish will be a success.
    If we finish 10th, personally I would regard that as a massive fail.
    Imho - absolutely! A massive downward turn. (10th or below.) THIS is the season we have to put fear into opposition. But it’s getting harder each season.
    Kebabus

Post by Kebabus »

10th place a success?

This is Dartford, again we go for play offs, MINIMUM.

Last time we were up against a load of ‘big time fully pro’ sides we were part time and having a laugh.

Let’s sit back enjoy the weather and leave it to the Management team to put a squad primed to challenge together.

There, I really believe.
    Spike

Post by Spike »

To my mind, what constitutes success is actually winning something and whilst in recent years we have won a lot more games than we've lost, we've not actually won anything significant since TB took us up by winning the play-offs. Obviously, the next level up is a massive upgrade and you could easily argue that, when we get there, avoiding the drop would rightly be considered a successful season. But as far as National South goes, we have consistently been at or around the top for a good few years now and I see no reason to start making excuses and going backwards just because a couple of biggish names have been relegated into the mix. I would say ...

Promotion is success.
    8th or lower is failure.
    Losing in the play-offs is respectable but still failure.
    M1 South

Post by M1 South »

And becoming the norm unfortunately!!
    Babylon

Post by Babylon »

To get promotion we obviously need to win the league , the play offs are a good idea but they are a bit of a lottery.
    The Darts record on play off success is pretty poor ,in fact to my knowledge we have won them only once in 2012 under Burman I think.
    It is easier said than done but we have to go for the Connie south championship this time because for some unknown reason we always bottle the play offs.
    Jonty

Post by Jonty »

We didn't bottle this time around against St Albans, we just didn't get the rub of the green Babylon. These things happen.

Anyway, all this talk of "Player News" has gone a little quiet. As it stands, we still need a couple of central defenders, a winger or two and possibly another forward to compliment one our target men. Would also be nice for the DFC board to grant Bonzo a testimonial when he returns back from his hols. We possibly missed a trick not to get Vint back on board, even if it was for cover.
    The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Jonty are you having a laugh, Vint REALLY. I think all this sun has gone to your head either that or you need to lay off the red wine 😜. He’s not even Vanarama South level anymore, Dulwich let him go.
    We’ve currently got 2 wingers and 3 forwards although I would still like to see Charlie added to that list as still no mention of him.

We definitely need Bonzo back in defence though alongside another strong central defender and possibly another keeper.
    I know we’ve got Beaney from Concord but I still think we need someone to push him and cover if he’s injured as I’m not sure if Wray will be up to it yet.
    Spike

Post by Spike »

Whatever the situation is with Bonzo, as more time passes it looks increasingly unlikely that he will be with us next season. If so, that would be a massive blow as he really has been a rock at the back. George Whitefield is a decent prospect, has bags of potential and would benefit greatly from playing alongside Bonner, but at present we have no experienced centre-backs. If Bonzo doesn't sign then that is a bit of a worry. I was already demoralised by Dowse's interview a month or so back, if Bonzo doesn't sign then I could enter full depression mode.

[frantically searching down the back of my sofa for those missing rose-tinted specs]
    Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

What planet are people on? If Tom Bonner, who has black and white running through his veins, is away on holiday - how the heck do you expect him to sign on for another season? Give the guy a break and let him enjoy a good rest after giving the club everything he has year in, year out.

Oh and next time those supporters bemoaning no news on the Bonzo signing front are on holiday - could you just nip back to work for a chat on your future...... I'm sure you'll be delighted to run in and see your boss
    Johndfc2

Post by Johndfc2 »

I take your point Taunton ,but I think the concern is that he apparently has now been on Holiday for the last six weeks. Very strange that we have heard no updates
    Spike

Post by Spike »

Taunton Dart wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:21 pm What planet are people on? If Tom Bonner, who has black and white running through his veins, is away on holiday - how the heck do you expect him to sign on for another season? Give the guy a break and let him enjoy a good rest after giving the club everything he has year in, year out.

Oh and next time those supporters bemoaning no news on the Bonzo signing front are on holiday - could you just nip back to work for a chat on your future...... I'm sure you'll be delighted to run in and see your boss
    These would all be good points IF he was on holiday and IF I was "bemoaning" Tom, but since neither are true it doesn't really hold up. I will be delighted if Tom is with us again next season, but the fact that he has been one of our best and most loyal players but has yet to put pen to paper, is all the more reason why I am concerned. Normally he'd be one of the first to sign up but since he hasn't and we have heard nothing, I am understandably concerned at the prospect of losing our most important player. That's not a criticism, just an observation.
    Harry

Post by Harry »

Agree on Bonner, a concern he hasn't signed ....... yet, absolute class player and dare I say Dowse would be do very well to sign someone of similar mind.

Is he considering retirement ? Or just pursuing his options, will just have to wait and see.
    Park Life

Post by Park Life »

No announcement on Tom from either party is imo more than concerning.

Don't forget he was the first player to sign last season on the 1st June and as far as I'm aware he's been back from holiday a while now so if he's not signed by now.........

I would suggest Dowse gets talking to some more centre backs.
    KingKong

Post by KingKong »

Hak at Dulwich has not been shy of signing experienced defenders the latest Michael Chambers from Billericay who i always liked,
    Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Park Life wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:44 pm No announcement on Tom from either party is imo more than concerning.

Don't forget he was the first player to sign last season on the 1st June and as far as I'm aware he's been back from holiday a while now so if he's not signed by now.........

I would suggest Dowse gets talking to some more centre backs.
    Surely, we need to know!?
    Johndfc2

Post by Johndfc2 »

At the ground today getting some PSF tickets. Unfortunately no further news on Tom Bonner, it’s like he has disappeared. Obviously Dowse is aware of the defensive shortages and is talking to centre half’s. Unfortunately not a lot else to report.
    Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I keep checking in regularly for news on the ongoing Bonner saga and its driving me bonkers. Someone knows something and the club needs to make an announcement. As much as I like Tom, we all need to be put out of misery as I can only guess on one of the following scenarios.

1) He has decided to retire and someone at the club is stopping the announcement being made public in hope that he will change his mind.
    2) Maybe, like Connor, he has decided to drop a level or two. Could he join up with Ronnie at Lewes?
    3) It could well be that he is undecided, which is fair enough. If this is the case, I would like the club/manager offer him an incentive to stay another season. Maybe offer him a testimonial.

My young son keeps asking me the same question, and should he no longer be a DFC player, I would be upset but my son would be absolutely devastated, in the same manner I was when Peter Taylor called time as manager.

Whatever Tom's decides, I would like to wish him well but now is the time for someone to make the call so that the manager can start the unenviable task of finding a replacement. Personally, I don't think we will find another player who will give the club 10 years service again. He is the same bracket at Bradders in my book.

Dowse or the board need to end the speculation ASAP.
    Johndfc2

Post by Johndfc2 »

Only jesting with you ,but do you also believe that we never landed on the moon and the earth is flat😂😂