News from around the National League South

Moderator: Gary C

Bowden57

Re: News from around the National League South

Post by Bowden57 »

Just one small change to that map. Truro City will continue to play their home matches at Plymouth Parkways ground (Bolitho Park) for the 2023/2024 season. Their old ground at Treyew Road is now a Lidl supermarket. They are hoping to move into a new stadium a few miles outside Truro for the 2024/2025 season.
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

That's good to know and will shave 70 miles each way off driving distance for us to Truro. Almost as far as my nearest Natuonal League team, Bishop's Stortford, will have to travel for their *local* derbies next season to Brackley or Kings Lynn.
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Max Statham & Sam Carruthers both made the Vanerama South Team of the Season 2022/23.

Well Done both Max & Sam.

Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Bishop Stortfors are going to appeal on their move North!

https://www.bsfc.co.uk/club-news/club-statement-5/
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

Undercover Elephant wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:11 am Bishop Stortfors are going to appeal on their move North!

https://www.bsfc.co.uk/club-news/club-statement-5/
Can’t say as I blame them! And, it’s a new ground for me. As a fan. Reffed there many moons ago!
The 5th Searcher

Post by The 5th Searcher »

Their fans have already raised just over £2300 so far to help pay towards their appeal costs.

Good Luck to them, nobody wants to play in that Northern division.
BRASSNECK

Post by BRASSNECK »

The 5th Searcher wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:43 pm Their fans have already raised just over £2300 so far to help pay towards their appeal costs.

Good Luck to them, nobody wants to play in that Northern division.
I think they are wasting their time.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Definitely a case of once bitten, twice shy!!
The Duke

Post by The Duke »

The simple answer is to play21 teams in the north and 23 in the south as chances are it will balance out in 12 months time , I feel for B Stortford as the proposed move is n o reward for getting promoted and the financial cost could cripple them which is totally unfair !!!!
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

The Duke wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:20 pm The simple answer is to play21 teams in the north and 23 in the south as chances are it will balance out in 12 months time , I feel for B Stortford as the proposed move is n o reward for getting promoted and the financial cost could cripple them which is totally unfair !!!!
It's 24 teams in each division so as much as it's really tough on Bishops Stortford i cant see any reprieve.

I also can't see the league allocating 25 teams in the NLS (48 league games!!!!!) and 23 in the NLN so if they were to get a reprieve then the same would apply to the next club, and so on and so on.

I seem to recall that when this has happened before the league helped with travel costs etc. so maybe that will be the same again??
Spike

Post by Spike »

Park Life wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm I seem to recall that when this has happened before the league helped with travel costs etc. so maybe that will be the same again??
That would seem to be the only logical solution. All the other ideas would just lead to more appeals and more problems.
M1 South

Post by M1 South »

Sling Chelmsford in the North!! Problem sorted!!
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Isn't Braintree further north than Bishop's Stortford? Well fractionally

Also this reminds me of the time we got kicked into the Ryman North and were the only team South of the Thames - that season didn't turn out too badly and we went to a lot of grounds we'd never seen before (or since)
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Is Gloucester and Oxford City further North than Bishops Stortford? Very close, did they have issues going into the NL? Stortford must have had an inkling they may go North.
I feel for Mousehole and Truro should Truro ever get back to the City. Mousehole isn't big enough to have a football team and built on a hill the slope must be horrendous on their pitch. Doing very well to get as far up the Pyramid to step 4. Should have stuck to away matches at places like St Buryan, a lot cheaper traveling.
Bowden57

Post by Bowden57 »

It seems that Truro will definately be aiming to make a challenge for promotion and have a posssible solution to the restrictive current ownership of DFC. Crowdfunding.

Their chairman is ambitious and has been trying get the both teams he owns (Truro FC and Cornwall Pirates RFC) back to the county town for a few years now. It looks as if the football team will return from their exile in Plymouth for the start of the 2024 / 2025 season with a new stadium just outside Truro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65712426
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

Warren Feeney gone from Welling wonder if Kingy will end up back at Welling
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

JCJ wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:01 pm Warren Feeney gone from Welling wonder if Kingy will end up back at Welling
Their statement does say that Warren will be staying on in an ambassador position, wonder if King would be comfortable in that sort of setup. But wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

Danny Bloor has also left Eastbourne.
JCJ

Post by JCJ »

More likely Eastbourne is where he will turn up
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Eastbourne's statement reads:

"Moving forward we will have a more data driven approach to recruitment, preparation and analysis, using the latest AI technology, equipment and platforms to manage the performance and welfare of our players."

So maybe Bloor didn't agree with this new approach, I'm very surprised at this news as he's done a fantastic job there. This new approach sounds very much like what Crawley Town tried doing, and that almost got them relegated from League Two.
Ajaxman DFC

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

The new investment in Eastbourne Borough was touch and go until a few days ago. I suggested that Kingy would be a good fit for a club with money to spend. I've received a mixed response from Borough fans, a good few of which are not happy with the sacking of Danny Bloor, who to be fair has done a good job there.
But at the end of the day the appointment of Steve King with serious money to spend is a no brainer.