Charlie Sheringham (Sub)
5%
Luke Allen (Sub)
No votes

Total votes: 20

Ajaxman DFC

Re: Concord Rangers v Dartford Thu 20 April 2023

Post by Ajaxman DFC »

Sounds like we're going through the motions again. Someone, somewhere within the club is stinking the place out.
Ambition and desire comes from the top downwards.
Steve King and Alan Dowson are currently two of the top managers at this level.
Dowson looked a broken man during last nights post-match interview.
Managers, like players, don't become bad overnight.
This club is becoming like Chelsea minus the money.
If Dowse walks then it'll be a good excuse to get someone in on the cheap. We'll have no choice. Dartford FC will become the poisoned chalice that no decent manager will want to touch with a bargepole.
It was suggested the players weren't interested in going up preferring to keep their double income status instead. Although that is difficult to believe. Sportsmen are naturally competitive and don't like to lose. It's in their DNA.
And it's not as though it's just beer money accompanying the day job.
Players at this level, full or part time, are still on good money.

If we weren't serious about promotion then why employ the likes of Kingy and Dowse in the first place?
And if we do want to go to the next level then we really have to consider going full time.
If the board can't afford to take us up and they are true Dartford fans, then maybe it's time to take a back a seat, enjoy the game from the terraces with the rest of us, and get someone in who can.
This season sums up the last 10 years.
Just like the story of the hare and the tortoise we fall asleep just behind the finishing line, allowing the likes of the Bromleys and Dorkings of this world to saunter past us and crack on.
Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

I think the manager, fans, supporters and the board want to go up!
I think that there is an element in the club that don’t!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I didn't go, Thankfully.
I have largely cherry picked my games this season. But having seen the result last night, I was not surprised by the how it went.
I wasn't impressed at the beginning of the season, mainly with the squad and with the way the Summer was conducted, but that's another thing.
Dowse came in and had to put together a squad of players. I do believe he's an honest guy and wears his heart on his sleeve.
The demolition of Ebbsfleet at the Christmas period had me believing he was turning things around. Yes he's made a few decisions that have been questionable in my opinion and the chasing pack have not taken advantage of our stuttering since Christmas. But I do believe he's been let down badly by a few players.
A team of old men and a few that, I feel, think they can do better elsewhere or are just seeing out the season.
Wholesale changes next season, Yes, by a country mile, whether it's in the National League or the NLS.
I was coming up this Saturday but I think in the current state of mind, and mine, St Albans will be too much for a side lacking confidence.
I do feel though for Dowse and I'm sure he will be here next season.
Hopefully we will still achieve 2nd spot and we'll have home advantage in the play-off's for what it's worth, but I do think we are also rans and God help the team that goes up with Ebbsfleet. Promotion for us will come at a huge cost.
I want promotion but feel it's not going to happen this season.
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Undercover Elephant wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:17 am I think the manager, fans, supporters and the board want to go up!
Absolutely, 100% correct!
Tony H

Post by Tony H »

Ajaxman DFC wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:44 am Sounds like we're going through the motions again. Someone, somewhere within the club is stinking the place out.
Ambition and desire comes from the top downwards.
Steve King and Alan Dowson are currently two of the top managers at this level.
Dowson looked a broken man during last nights post-match interview.
Managers, like players, don't become bad overnight.
This club is becoming like Chelsea minus the money.
If Dowse walks then it'll be a good excuse to get someone in on the cheap. We'll have no choice. Dartford FC will become the poisoned chalice that no decent manager will want to touch with a bargepole.
It was suggested the players weren't interested in going up preferring to keep their double income status instead. Although that is difficult to believe. Sportsmen are naturally competitive and don't like to lose. It's in their DNA.
And it's not as though it's just beer money accompanying the day job.
Players at this level, full or part time, are still on good money.

If we weren't serious about promotion then why employ the likes of Kingy and Dowse in the first place?
And if we do want to go to the next level then we really have to consider going full time.
If the board can't afford to take us up and they are true Dartford fans, then maybe it's time to take a back a seat, enjoy the game from the terraces with the rest of us, and get someone in who can.
This season sums up the last 10 years.
Just like the story of the hare and the tortoise we fall asleep just behind the finishing line, allowing the likes of the Bromleys and Dorkings of this world to saunter past us and crack on.
A small number of good points Ajax but in the main both inaccurate and even mischievous I’m afraid! Yes, everybody is entitled to their opinions but on some points you are so very wide of the mark.
Taunton Dart

Post by Taunton Dart »

Tony H wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:49 am
Undercover Elephant wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:17 am I think the manager, fans, supporters and the board want to go up!
Absolutely, 100% correct!
I know full well you should add in skipper - Tom Bonner- to the list that desperately wants to go up. I've never seen anyone so deflated as Tom was after the Taunton game - apart from possibly Dowse's interview
Last edited by Taunton Dart on Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

Anyone know what the attendance was last night?
Sleightly Deceptive

Post by Sleightly Deceptive »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:28 am Anyone know what the attendance was last night?
Only a guess - but sub 300.
Park Life

Post by Park Life »

Undercover Elephant

Post by Undercover Elephant »

Park Life wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:53 pm
No thanks once was enough 😡
Mark Sweet

Post by Mark Sweet »

Great goal from Sam, shame that it meant absolutely nothing at the end of it. Their 2nd goal was a defensive shambles, had plenty of opportunity to clear it or get a tackle in and we fail to do so. And for their 3rd Connor has to be stronger. Don't throw yourself on the floor as a centre half, deal with the danger.

I can fully understand why Dowse is getting frustrated with some of the goals we are conceding. It's absolutely criminal.

One thing I will say, that I have failed to do so in my frustration is full credit to Concord. They kept fighting and took full advantage of us being severely below par. If they do somehow manage to survive it'll be one of the greatest escapes I've ever seen.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I would be interested who you thought from within the club doesn't want to gain promotion, as I disagree with your opinion.
Grassbank

Post by Grassbank »

Very clear from the footage of their third goal that 18 had hold of Connor's shirt, thus pulling him off balance. It was just one of numerous occasions during the evening that Dartford players had their shirts held or received shoves in the back. The ref was consistent, he did not penalise Concord once for holding offences.

Good luck to the Darts for the match tomorrow.
Bowden57

Post by Bowden57 »

As this forum is for those who wish to express their thoughts and opinions without prejudice, might I be allowed to add my two penneth.

The last time we won promotion to the National League we had a team which had a core of players that had been together for a few seasons and as a unit wanted to win promotion and in so doing, experience playing in the NL, not only for themselves but for the club. Ok, many of these left after the first successful season at that level, but this was mainly because some could not manage the travel requirements with their work commitments, playing as a part-time team.

I would like to think that all the current squad have the same desire to be successful and play at a higher level and not just be playing for the pay packet. However, perhaps it might be time to reset our sights and maybe work on a longer term squad plan. To this end, maybe it might be worth looking deeper at developing a squad based around home grown talent, namely the academy, to create a core of players who hopefully will have a strong loyalty to the club. This should avoid the need to bring in so many players each season and so find a way to enable these incoming players to become a cohesive unit whilst training just once a week.

Unless the club can find a way to go full-time and finance this within the boundaries of the current ownership rules (which I support), then I fear that promotion to the NL might only lead to financial problems.

The club, the directors and the management team all have my full support, but the on pitch performances since the New Year only seem to support the need for the creation of a more cohesive squad basis for the management team to work with.

DFC has come a very very long way since returning to Dartford in 2006, which is something for everyone involved the club to be extremely proud of. Perhaps it is time to be brave and try a new plan, somenthing which I recall being looked at many years ago but as yet have not been fully implemented.

It would be a shame to get promotion and then struggle to maintain that position.
Craybank

Post by Craybank »

Agree 100%. I shall not be renewing my Season Ticket next year. Back to the future is the way to go if, as it would appear, the Holy Grail of promotion is only a Poison Chalice. Would rather see a decent game of football every week played by OUR lads giving it all and see where it takes us. Manager - stop blaming the players. Players - you already know there’s no future for you at the club if we get promoted. It’s is the conundrum of part time to full time football and the club ethos has suffered.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Is that you Reggie. Another pseudonym.
PeteSamson

Post by PeteSamson »

What a soulless ground that is!!
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

Having watched that I think Sam was more surprised he'd scored than anyone else. :o
SKennedyDFC

Post by SKennedyDFC »

If anyone cares, the attendance for this fixture was 276 I'm told.
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

SKennedyDFC wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:38 pm If anyone cares, the attendance for this fixture was 276 I'm told.
Thanks for that :D